DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: help me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks. I have just registered and I am looking for some specific help. I bought the 300D only three weeks ago and inbelievably, my daughter dropped it when it was only five days old! This appears to have done considerable damage but I cannot send it for repair just yet as I use it in my work. I had a Pentax and iot is being repaired at the moment so I hafta wait till it comes back. So, in the meantime, here are my immediate problems. My flash is firing but it does not light up the subjects at all (I think it may just be misaligned). This isn't a big problem right now. More annoying is the fact that after each shot I take, "error 99" shows so I have to turn the camera off and then on again. This is a real nuisance when I am taking a load of photos (such as at my niece's wedding last weekend). The "pop up" flash button does not work! And here's my latest discovery, I cannot change the ISO. According to the manual I should just press the little arrow (up) button and the ISO should display..but it doesn't! I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if this is part of the fall damage. Can anybody offer any suggestions to tide me over until I can get the thing repaired. Man.............I just love this camera to bits and having had such fun and results with it up until the damage, it is quite annoying to have it in this condition right now.
thanks,
Eugene
the ISO might be locked if you arent in creative mode otherwise i wouldnt have a clue.

Since the 300D isnt fully built to work with all external flashes ...
id advise you to slow down your shuitter speed so that it has more time to catch the flash... ive had the same problems with my flash before...
Doooh! That's such bad news, Eugene! Sad

I think you have to hold the UP button and turn the command dial at the same time to change the ISO setting... does that work? Is the rest of the LCD working? Or mabye it could be the up button that's not working....
From my research on the net, error 99 appears when there's an incompatibility with the lens... so maybe one or more of the lens contacts may be damaged...

If you need a camera urgently for shooting an event, I would suggest hiring a body until your Pentax comes back...
I wasn't talking about external flash sorry..I didn't want to make my post too long! I have a Cobra which worked with it until the fall and my brother tells me that there is a SunPak that works with it. Canon are crafty enough though.....trying to make us spend another couple of hundred quid on a Speedlite, as if the camera wasn't expensive enough for an ordinary regular guy...........or doll! Even if I go into creative modes, I still can't change the ISO. I suspect it too is damaged! And hi to you Aussies.what time is it there? It,s noon here right now (actually.......10 past)
It's about 9pm in Melbourne.

Too bad about the 300D... is it insured or something?

(by the way, I deleted your duplicate post in the Canon Chatter forum... hope you don't mind)
I only had it five days so I hadn't considered insurance. It may very well be covered under my household insurance mind. I amconsidering my options. As for the ISO setting. My up/down butons are working perfectly when I zoom in on a review and move about. According to the manual, there is a little clock/6 sumbol beside the instructions for changing the ISO. As far as I can figure, this means there is a six second delay somewhere. But if I hold the button for six seconds, nothing happens and if I just press it and wait for the six, still nothing happens! Beats me
Actually reminds me of when I got my current camera. I decided to go rollerblading with camera in hand (very smart, I know).

Got to a steep bit and fell over, and the camera bumped on the ground not 1, not 2 but 3 times. My heart was in my throat as I checked it over... minor cosmetic damage to adapter ring, but camera worked after I turned it off and on again. It's still ok today, thankfully Big Grin