DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: More STE2 wireless flash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Getting the hang of this, slowly.
[Image: thats-ok5.jpg]
[Image: thats-ok7.jpg]
[Image: thats-ok8.jpg]
The first picture is a great product shot. Of the 2 book shots, I prefer the first just because the light is more dramatic.

It's all about lighting, isn't it? This wireless flash is good stuff - I have been messing with mine since I got the D200 - soon I may have something good to post.
Great, thanks for those pics. I told myself no toys, now that I got the 20D, but now it seems like I don't have enough for it!

What flash are you running with the ste2?
Toad Wrote:The first picture is a great product shot. Of the 2 book shots, I prefer the first just because the light is more dramatic.

It's all about lighting, isn't it? This wireless flash is good stuff - I have been messing with mine since I got the D200 - soon I may have something good to post.

MANY thanks! Smile

I'm really getting hooked on this mini studio look, AND it seems to translate to the big strobes in the studio I hire.
Boy, I havent had so much fun for ages!! Big Grin
Gujustud Wrote:Great, thanks for those pics. I told myself no toys, now that I got the 20D, but now it seems like I don't have enough for it!

What flash are you running with the ste2?

Hello there! (How do I pronounce your name?)

I'm using a Canon 550ex and a 420ex in these pictures. The one of the Pentax compact also has a small reflector in use too.
I also have 2 Vivitar 285 HV's which fire on optical slaves. Switching the 550 to manual works in conjunction with the 285's, but BE WARNED.... The 420 DOES NOT, as it has no manual control!!! :o
Rufus Wrote:
Toad Wrote:The first picture is a great product shot. Of the 2 book shots, I prefer the first just because the light is more dramatic.

MANY thanks! Smile

I'm really getting hooked on this mini studio look, AND it seems to translate to the big strobes in the studio I hire.
Boy, I havent had so much fun for ages!! Big Grin

...and not only that - you will find that wit a couple of decent wireless flashes, you can purchase a couple of relaftively low-cost umbrellas/soft boxes - and you actually HAVE a studio setup...
More!! Big Grin
[Image: munch2.jpg]
[Image: munch3.jpg]
Looks fun!
I want one now!
Rooo-who?? Big Grin Good to hear from you again!

I really like the lighting studies... the first book shot in particular draws my fancy - the lighting is very dramatic and contrasting. I like the first veggie shot too, the lighting is very even, like what you'd see recipe books. Big Grin
Cool shots, i like the second book shot.

/Paul L.
#1 and #2 appeal to me. Something to do with the lighting.
I like the first book shot . Good work and keep playing and posting .

....... Shawn
Looks like Adam brought this old post back up - wish it was Rufus who had dropped in. Maybe he will be enticed back Smile
Yes, I brought it back... I was interested in ST-E2 and remembered it mentioned here before - so searched it up Smile

I've read that outdoors on bright days, it doesn't work well?
Can anyone verify this? :O
adam Wrote:I've read that outdoors on bright days, it doesn't work well?
Can anyone verify this? :O
Outdoors the range is limited to the specs (15' max, I think, but realistically much less) and there must be a direct line of site from the transmitter to the slave flash.

Indoors the range exceeds the specs and you may not need a direct line of site because the IR signal will bounce off walls. I've actually triggered flashes behind me, and in another room.

Personally, I wouldn't buy this again - I'd go for an RF trigger instead (such as the Pocket Wizard, though there are some that are much less expensive.) Better range, no worries about line of site. And you can save a lot of money by buying non-Canon flashes.
Dont know about the st-e2, but in bright light a normal ir trigger will be very limited.

But if you want to utilitize ettl/ittl you have no other choice but to use su-800 (nikon) or the st-e2.

Personally i dont care much for ttl or any automatic flash system, so i never got a su-800 for my sb800. Iv been using a prolinca ir trigger (much cheaper then a su-800) and its been working great indoors (booth for my speedlight and my strobes) But recently i got my self a set of pw, and they are much more reliable, and works great outdoors. now i can also meter wireless since i have a sekonic meter with a pw transmitter buildt in. works great.

/Paul L.
oo wow, thanks for the informations! Big Grin