DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Is this real!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A hush suddenly falls over the audience . . . imagine yourself at an international gathering of hundreds of photographers . . . all waiting expectantly for the announcement. Finally it comes . . .

"Ladies and gentlemen, and fellow photographers . . . the winner of one of the largest cash prizes ever awarded to an amateur photographer . . . Our Amateur Photographer of the Year for 2006 . . . and Grand Prize winner of $10,000.00 is . . .

Brett Robson!"

You make your way to the stage amidst the sound of thunderous applause and a standing ovation from your new friends.

We're familiar with your work, Brett, and you know . . .
it could happen just that way!

Dear Brett,

I am pleased to inform you of your nomination as Amateur Photographer of the Year for 2006 and to personally invite you to speak about the story behind your photographs and your photography at the most prestigious gathering of professional and amateur photographers ever assembled--The International Society of Photographers Annual Convention and Symposium, held in Las Vegas, Nevada, March 3-5, 2006.

You will also be honored with two separate and very special awards for your photographic achievement.

In front of fellow photographers from around the world, amidst the applause from the audience, you will be formally presented with your Outstanding Achievement in Amateur Photography Silver Award Bowl. The Award is a magnificent work of art in itself ($200.00 value), uniquely engraved and mounted on a beautiful cherry-wood base. This impressive Silver Award Bowl is so large and heavy, you may need an extra suitcase just to carry it home!

And Brett . . . there's much more . . .

In recognition of your photography, we will also create and present to you a beautiful and colorful Commemorative Award Medallion to honor your dedication and achievements.

PHOTOGRAPHY . . . PHOTOGRAPHY . . . AND MORE PHOTOGRAPHY

You'll also find yourself presenting your photography in front of new friends, publishers, and editors who are supportive and eager to see and critique your work. During an intensive weekend of seminars, workshops, and critique sessions led by some of the most talented photography faculty ever assembled, you will have the opportunity to hone your craft.

And you'll be able to get up-close and personal with some of the world's most renowned professional photographers. This year we are particularly pleased to welcome National Geographic Photographer, Steve McCurry; Famed Rock & Roll Photographer, Bob Gruen; Time Magazine Photojournalist, Robert Nickelsberg; and many other fantastic professionals who will treat us to very special and enlightening presentations of their photography.

$25,000.00 TOTAL IN CASH AND GIFT PRIZES--INCLUDING A $10,000.00 GRAND PRIZE!

This is one of the most lucrative amateur photography contests ever! Your contest entry photo can be on any subject and can be taken in any style of photography.

Just think . . . for this photo alone, you will have the opportunity to win one of ten cash prizes . . . including a Grand Prize of $10,000.00--one of the largest cash prizes ever awarded to an amateur photographer. Additional prizes include a Second Prize of $2,500.00, three Third Prizes of $1,000.00 each, and five Fourth Prizes of $500.00 each. Also given away will be ten door prizes valued at over $500.00 each and much, much more.

DON'T BE LEFT OUT

Don't miss this opportunity, Brett, space is limited, and our conventions routinely sell out. Register now, and plan to join your fellow photographers in fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada, March 3-5, 2006, for the photographic event of the year! Click here to see the new convention highlights video!

Sincerely,

Craig Foster
Convention Chairperson & Educational Director

Click here for more information.
Click here to Register Now, or go to
https://www.picture.com/convention/regis...20&SC=LV6D
Click here to see the new convention highlights video!

P.S. Your 2006 "Outstanding Achievement in Amateur Photography" Silver Award Bowl . . . your Commemorative Award Medallion . . . $25,000.00 in prizes . . . National Geographic Photographer, Steve McCurry . . . Rock & Roll Photographer, Bob Gruen . . . Time Magazine Photojournalist, Robert Nickelsberg . . . a lavish banquet dinner . . . The Cornell Gunter Coasters performing live . . . educational seminars and workshops led by some of the most talented faculty ever assembled . . . lasting friendships . . . the list just goes on and on. Don't miss out! A small deposit will ensure your place in the proceedings. We'll acknowledge your reservation promptly.

This message is intended for kerridwyn@netspace.net.au. You are receiving this email because you submitted a photo to our contest and agreed to receive relevant emails from us.

Please do not reply to this message. If you no longer wish us to notify you of events that we believe may be of interest to you, please click here, or go to http://www.picture.com/nl/stopemail.asp.

picture.com * 3600 Crondall Lane * Owings Mills, MD 21117
hi

uuhmmm sounds to good to be true? maybe you should contact the other photographer that they mention? Steve McCurry? uuhmmm...

this sound like those adds from readies digest, but i could be wrong.

regards

christian
You have to ask how they recoup their costs - they can't just give away tens of thousands of dollars away for free...

Sounds a bit like this one...
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3936
Did a search of the newsgroups for "picture.com"

http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.ph...2108080163

http://groups.google.com.au/group/rec.ph...06995e2f17

In short - it's a scam... sort of.

It's legal in that you give them money, they publish your photo in a book, and you do receive a physical book.

But the books aren't distributed anywhere - they are only sold to those who submit their entries. So if you think you're going to become famous, I seriously doubt it.

From what you posted Brett, it seems they might be taking it one step further -- holding a convention with workshops, etc.

Any idea what the cost is?
my father got something like that a few years ago.
They published his picture in a book and tried to sell him the book. Smile
Sounds a bit too phoney to be real.
Kerridwyn Wrote:The Award is a magnificent work of art in itself ($200.00 value),

Definitely aiming right at the art lover with that line...

... this does sound like the world's most complex way to sell a book. To be fair, a lot of competitions (that aren't invitational, I have no experience with those) do ask for a fee from the entrants, typically $10-20 or to have framing done in the host gallery.

Brett, you need to put a disclaimer in your messages whenever you use your full name. I have a brother who shares your name, and he and I share the last name of Robertson. I was wondering how he could have possibly won a photo competition... :/ ... but then again, I'm also 'awake' unusually early this morning.
"Magnificent work of art":

[Image: bowl.jpg]
Costs:

Quote: Non-Members $595.00 Full Convention Registration for Photographers
$295.00 Full Convention Registration for Each Guest

Distinguished Members (If you are not a Distinguished Member, see below.)
$570.00 Full Convention Registration for Photographers
$270.00 Full Convention Registration for Each Guest

As a Distinguished Member of the International Society of Photographers, you will receive the following by mail: • a membership pin crafted in gold and cloisonné enamel • a Distinguished Membership walnut-finish plaque with a parchment certificate inscribed with your name in fine calligraphy and precision-mounted under Lucite with gold seal and ribbon • a Distinguished Membership card • ISP decal • discounts of $25.00 for you and each of your guests to an ISP Convention and Symposium!

You may register as a Distinguished Member and get an immediate savings on this year's convention.
Two-year Distinguished Membership in the International Society of Photographers--$149.00 plus $14.00 S & H. (I am attending the Convention, and I have registered above as a Distinguished Member. Please send all my membership gifts and benefits as described above.)
Two-year Distinguished Membership in the International Society of Photographers--$149.00 plus $14.00 S & H. (I will not be attending the Convention. Please send all my membership gifts and benefits as described above.)
I wish to become an Associate Member which I receive FREE with my convention registration.
So you pay at least $595 (plus room and airfare) and you get a $10 nickel plated spitoon.
Sounds to me (from the letter) like they're asking you to pay them a large sum of money for which you "buy" yourself an award. Similar to vanity publishing in the world of writing where you end up with a published book, but it's not on merit, simply a matter of paying them for it. I would guess these people scour the net looking for photographers and send these letters out on the basis that some at least wil be sucked into paying the huge fees involved believing they really have been selected on merit by a genuine and reputable organisation. Alongside those there'll be a few who are quite aware of what this really is, but who have large enough egos and pockets to go ahead anyway - after all, most folks won't know it's not a genuine award!(Though they could save money by printing themselves a phony "award" cerificate!).

I tink the rule here is if you win a competition you've never entered there's something fishy going on. If collecting your prize/award costs you money it's definitely a scam!

Jan