DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Canon EOS 350D Battery Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have had my 350D since August last year and just last weekend I have had a problem with the battery.

I charged the battery as it was pretty much dead ( no charge) and well it charged a little to quickly for my liking, however when I placed it in the camera the battery was full.

However when I took one shot, the battery power went to half.

Has anyone come across this???

I have about 6yrs worth of warrenty for the camera + insurance so I dont think I will have problems replacing the battery if I need to.
Batteries like to be used. This isnt an insurance issue, as consumables rarely are. In my old 10D, I use "pattern" batteries which cost about a fifth of the Canon version. In 2, (or is it 3?), years, they've never let me down.
Just buy a new battery. I cam a-l-m-o-s-t guarantee it'll be fine.
Rufus Wrote:Batteries like to be used. This isnt an insurance issue, as consumables rarely are. In my old 10D, I use "pattern" batteries which cost about a fifth of the Canon version. In 2, (or is it 3?), years, they've never let me down.
Just buy a new battery. I cam a-l-m-o-s-t guarantee it'll be fine.
So its not something I can claim under the store warrenty?
No harm in trying but I have my doubts.
I think the aftermarket ones generally last twice as long and are half the price? Might be better in the long run...
Weird.... took the camera to work with me, charged the battery ...and its all fine ...
Rufus, what do you mean by "pattern" batteries?
that sounds interesting, because I was thinking to get a spare battery, butl like you say, the canon are outragously pricey..

uli
Hi! Smile

Well, it's just an expression here for identical parts to the manufacturers, but without their name on, or their prices.
NN and I have bought batteries off Ebay which are 1550mah, (higher than the originals), for about £9. Not one has failed!
Hey Brett,

I had a similar problem last week while shooting the water polo.
I charged a pair of batteries every night, and usually get around 1000 shots out of a single battery when I shoot solidly.
Anyway, I was about 200 shots into the day and the camera just suddenly died with a flashing battery light! :o
I thought that I must've forgotten to charge that particular battery the night before, so I changed to a spare and kept on shooting.
But then.. about another 100 shots later the same thing happened with that battery!?!?!? :o :/ :mad:

Anyway, I put the original battery back (which hadn't been recharged at all) in and it showed full power again??? And it was just fine for the rest of the day (another 600+ shots).

I recharged both batteries that night and they were fine again the next day.
Then the same thing happened one more time during the week (the camera died with flashing battery icon) and this time I simply pulled out the battery and put it straight back in without doing anything else, and it worked fine again!

So I suspect it might have been a dirty terminal or a bit of fluff inside the battery compartment or something, as both batteries have been fine since, and I haven't treated them any differently.

Either way, it appears to have just been a one-off. But its interesting the same thing has happened to another 350D.