DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: *istD - how to pronounce?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heheh... I had a minor tongue twister incident the other night at a party - how do you pronounce that name?
Personally? Just "ist-dee"
Oh, you don't pronounce the asterisk?

I was saying "star -ist -dee"... *going red now*
i was thinking in my head ... "eye - es - tee - dee"
No need to make like a beetroot!

ISTDEE is simply what my wife and I call it.
Polly has one too, I wonder what she calls it?

Polly???
Rufus Wrote:No need to make like a beetroot!

ISTDEE is simply what my wife and I call it.
Polly has one too, I wonder what she calls it?

Polly???

eye-ess-tee-dee .... same as most istD owners I suppose.

I'm attaching a picci of what I did yesterday. I was experimenting with 'product' style photography and aiming to minimise shadows and reflections. I've never done anything like that before so I was quite pleased with the result.
[Image: tn_oil.jpg]

Polly
ist-deeeeee
Hey pol. Did you get my e-mail??

That pic looks good btw, but I'd like to see how the metal looks at full size. Is it smooth?
Rufus Wrote:Hey pol. Did you get my e-mail??

That pic looks good btw, but I'd like to see how the metal looks at full size. Is it smooth?

I just got your mail and sent a quick reply - thunderstorm overhead so I'm about to shut down before there's another power cut.

The metal is a a narrow stainless steel band, not very good looking now as it was a wedding present back in 1973 - so it's getting on a bit (like me)

That white reflection, spoiling to top of the handle, is from the white reflector I used (aka a polystyrene tile) It's far from perfect - just the first attempt at anything like that and I didn't have much space to work in. I'm setting myself up in another room so I can do more experimenting. I also need some better lighting - so I'm dropping hints to sons and husband as my Birthday's in Sept Big Grin

I used lining paper for the background, a mini-tripod and cable release and also to held the reflector myself. Just experimenting to see what I could get.

Polly
Hey nice! Did you use a flash?

I also have to take pictures like that for my camera reviews Big Grin
shuttertalk Wrote:Hey nice! Did you use a flash?

I also have to take pictures like that for my camera reviews Big Grin

Yes, I used a flash and also used the white side of a polystyrene tile (the sort you can stick on ceilings) I held the tile above the object and angled the flash to bounce off it .. so the light bounced downwards onto the object. To the right there's a large window with natural daylight and I placed white tiles to the left ... background was a large roll of white paper (lining paper that is used for walls) - so there was some light coming from all around.

It was all experimental and using everyday stuff from around the house.

What I did wrong was that I failed to light the background separately .. so I had to tweak the background with 'curves' in Photoshop as it was a bit creamish and dirty looking in the unprocessed shot.
A Pro in another message board explained that to me so I'll have another go soon ....hopefully when I've organised some better lighting arrangements for myself.

Polly
I did my shots under flourescent light without flash... just long shutter speed (~1 sec). To correct the white balance, I used a really cool utility that comes with Office 2003 called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. You select this button called "Enhance Colour", and then click on an area which is supposed to be white (i.e. background) and it magically adjusts everything!

Pretty unconventional, I know... but until I can justify some studio lights, a DSLR, macro lens and macro ring flash, this works fine for me! Big Grin
shuttertalk Wrote:I did my shots under flourescent light without flash... just long shutter speed (~1 sec). To correct the white balance, I used a really cool utility that comes with Office 2003 called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. You select this button called "Enhance Colour", and then click on an area which is supposed to be white (i.e. background) and it magically adjusts everything!

Pretty unconventional, I know... but until I can justify some studio lights, a DSLR, macro lens and macro ring flash, this works fine for me! Big Grin

As long as it works that's all that matters. Digital is fantastic because we can experiment as much as we like and get instant feedback Smile

Polly