DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Tripods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just bought what I think is a bargain, a tripod from Dollar Brokers on ebay (Austalia) for $38.00 plus postage $21.00. Its listed as 1.6m, Professional fluid motion tripod, 1.6m extended height, minimum op height 630mm, net weight 1.4kg, quick release plate, gear operated center column, 3 way panhead & durable carry case.

My son thought I was a fool, I took a punt, prepared to lose my money. Well it arrived this afternoon and I am impressed, just what I wanted, for those of you on a limited budget well worth a look, I think they still have a couple left.
Tripod is a great thing, essential piece of gear! Do you have a specific purpose in mind?
As long as it does the job (keeps your camera steady), and operates well, then good on you Big Grin

I'm looking for one too, although it's probably a bit lower down on my priority list. My current tripod was ok for compact cameras, but with my DSLR, it's very bouncy and unstable... quite a pain to use actually, so I hardly take it around anymore. Big Grin
Here's my $.02 from a guy that uses tripods a LOT. The problem with tripods is that they are hard to carry and cumbersome to use - but they work. So the secret is to make tripods easy to use and carry. Here are the things I like:

1. Rapid attach plates: Snap a camerea on snap it off - leave a plate in the bottom of your camera body and one on each large lens. No tedious screwing things (if you can imagine such a thing...)

2. A tripod sling. Throw the thing over your back with the camera attached - walk around like that - sling it on - sling it off - like a rifle on a sling

3. A fast action head that you can set to any angle in an instant - pistol grip style - no tedious adjusting angle with 2 separate screws. Grip - position in both planes - release! This is the kind of tripod head you want: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...Navigation

These 3 things will make your tripod experience a pleasure rather than a drag...

Just my $.02 as I said...
Hi Toad
Got all of that Big Grin even little feet that swivel so it sits evenly on the ground. See pics

[Image: tripod1.jpg]

[Image: tripod2.jpg]

all for AUS $38, Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Congratulations then. Good buy!!
Pat - Just what you need for a smaller camera - tripod is a must have.

Toad - I have that head you linked to - it really is very good.
I just bought that very head Toad, the Manfrotto grip release. Had it about a month and love it. It even holds the Rebel and the Bigma solid... a hefty 9.5 pounds and it is rock solid. IT's mounted on a 16lb rated set of Manfrotto legs.
Have fun with the new tripod Pat........it will open up some more options Smile
My tri-pod is such a tank i never take it with me. I do have a monopd that really helps steady the shot though. Looks like you got a great deal.
Hi Pat, that looks almost exactly like a Gittios tripod I bought for $70 Canadian - $80-85AUS - on sale. If it's the same mechanism, you made an excellent choice. Mine's now living with my mother, who uses a light SLR, and doesn't want to carry too much weight.

Toad Wrote:Here's my $.02 from a guy that uses tripods a LOT. The problem with tripods is that they are hard to carry and cumbersome to use - but they work.
When I first went out with my group, I was SHOCKED by how frequently good photographers use tripods, even for exposures that I thought were easily hand-holdable. It's the easiest and cheapest way to improve composition and sharpness. Even a monopod, properly used, makes a big difference. I carry one or the other - and sometimes both - for every "serious" shoot I do. (Most of my photos are from more casual lunch-hour sessions, though, which is why my work's still substandard. :/)

Toad Wrote:1. Rapid attach plates.... 2. A tripod sling.... 3. A fast action head that you can set to any angle in an instant ....
I agree with all three, and will add to buy the heaviest and sturdiest one that will actually get used. Even a lightweight support will be better than the one that's left at home. Also, look for one that's fast and reliable to set up.

I have all three of your suggestions on my seven-pound monster, except that I use a geared head (with rapid-adjustment to five-degree detents) instead of the pistol-grip ballhead. Absolute luxury. Ballheads are useful for monopods, though, so that's where my simple Manfrotto went.
I also have this tripod head (of course). Good to see everybody else has come to this same conclusion. The tripod is your friend - but it needs care and feeding to thrive...
I Just Purchased A Davis And Sanford Tripod To Use With My Nikon D200. The Head Mount On The Tripod Doesnt Seem To Cut It. I Think The Lens And The Camera Are Too Much For The Tripod Mount Itself. Does Anyone Have Any Purchase Suggestions For A New Tripod Mount?
Kadurf
Kadurf,

Earlier in the thread (see Toad's post) is a suggestion for a tripod head which quite a few of us have.

Are the legs of your tripod stable enough?

Cheers,

Chris