DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: I've been shopping...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well the insurance has started coming through, they're like banks I'm sure they hold onto their money as long as possible so they can play the short term money market.

I had a bit less than I expected to get, the company quoted and gave a good price for what was listed but when I went to buy other stuff they wouldn't give me the same discount but I did push them down a bit. I was tempted to go back to the insurance company but I can't wait another couple of weeks.

I picked up a 30d, 17-85, 2 x 580ex's, new storage (Sandisk Extreme III's, very impressed so far, only used Ultra II's before) battery grip yada yada

Had to order what I wanted. I was going to go for a 5d but changed my mind and I'm going to go for a 1d MkII N I find the amount of frames and AF speed will be of benefit.

I also passed on the 24-105 for the moment as a sacrifice to get what I wanted plus I haven't been overly worried by what I've read about it.
Don't know why Insurance companies always try to stiff people that have paid them their premiums in good faith etc. Congrats on the new toys Smile
Sorry I ran out of time earlier. When I went into get my gear I went outside and played with the 24-105 in the dim light and then took the 17-85 outside. Without a doubt the 24-105 is a superior lens but I couldn't justify it to myself at this time. The AF on the 17-85 is brilliant, I had doubts about how well it would work in low light but I couldn't see any difference between it and the 24-105. Colour, contrast and sharpness were a different matter.
good to hear your starting to get your kit back SJ..........must feel good to have a camera back. 1d MkII way to go :o
Hi Jamie,

Sounds good - what lens/lenses are you planning for the pro body?

Sorry to hear about the shop/insurance company mucking you around.
hi

niiiiiiiiiiiice
Good to see you're getting things back in order J. You gotta admit though, shopping is fun.Smile
yay! gear gear gear!
Coool! What other lenses are you going to get?
Sounds great Jamie, Big Grin

When I bought my 30D I was considering holding off for either a 5D and 1D Mk2N... and given the choice I think I'd make the same decision as you too. I'd love a 1DMk2N. Unfortunately I just can't justify that kind of outlay on a camera body at the moment considering the (absense of) income my photography generates.

I hope you're as happy with your 30D as I am with mine. Smile

Is there really a noticable speed difference between the SanDisk Ultra II's and Extreme III's on the 30D?
I use an Ultra II (which I'm quite happy with), and while I know the Extreme III's are faster, I didn't think it would be really noticable.