DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Kodak Z740 lens cap?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

First off I want to say I don't know much about cameras or photography. I bought this camera before I moved to japan because I wanted to be able to take some nice pictures. The camera is a Kodak EasyShare Z740 digital camera. Anyway, the problem is that I can't take this camera anywhere because the included lens cap pops off if you so much as casually brush it. I've lived in japan for 7 months and have taken a whole 3 pictures because I just can't take the camera anywhere. I don't really want to get a big specialized camera bag for it. I want to just be able to keep it in my purse but with the lens cap problem I can't do that because the contents of the purse will scratch the exposed lens. I was told by someone casually that I should look into a universal rubber cap that might stay on the camera. However since I don't know anything about cameras or accessories I don't know where to find such a thing. If anybody around here knows something about alternate lens caps for this camera I would really appreciate it. I tried to just use a strong rubber band wrapped around the camera to keep the cap on but that wasn't really working either. :/

-Rebecca
Welcome to shuttertalk.

Your camera takes 55mm filters and such, so search on Ebay for a replacement lens cap that is 55mm in size. You could also by a 55mm skylight or UV filter and leave that on the camera to protect the lens.
Thanks, I'll try it! Maybe I can find one on amazon.japan.
I bought a replacement lens cap (Nikon) for my Olympus camera; I still have the original but the Nikon is much better designed. This is a pretty standard camera store item, and cost about 1/2 of what a mediocre UV filter cost. You may also find one that has a small, light string on it to attach it to your camera strap, so it swings free when it's not in use. So, to make a short story long, there are better caps on the market, if you lose it you can replace it, and you can do something to stop losing it.
My camera came with a cap and cord to fasten it to the strap mount.
When I took it off it was always swinging in front of the lens with the wind.
So I made a little sleeve of velcro(hook and eye) to go over the strap and a oblong about 8 x 12 mm (the prickly bit) which I glued to the front of the cap with evostik (Brand name sorry)
See little sketch Velcro in red. You could sew it to the strap also, but mine just slides up the strap (The soft bit). Then just stick the two together before a shoot.
Don't know why I am drawing it on a photography forum.Big Grin[Image: 46_Untitled-1.jpg]
Hehe, nice drawing NT73... Big Grin

I recommend getting a replacement filter cap as EB suggested - I got one for my Fuji S5000 as well. After that, attach it as per NT73's instructions... Big Grin
thanks for all your suggestions Big Grin I'm going to see what I can find for it.
It turns out I have the same camera. I think it's a really great value. Use your lens adapter that came with it. Buy a cheap skylight or ultra-violet filter that screws on it (about $15) . The filter will protect the lens. Throw away the lens cap. I agree it is an annoyance.

You might want to join us at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1011

The Kodak SIG. You'll have to join Dpreview.com but that's no problems and it's a great source of information.

Welcome to shuttertalk.
Greetings,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the lens cap on your camera. I suspect that somehow you got a lens cap with incorrect or poor tension springs. That is easily corrected. Let me know your full USMail address and details and I will be glad to arrange for a different lens cap. If you want to share and send us the cap you have we can review to find out what happened.

Send me an email with your details. Always glad to help out, let me know if you have questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Hi Ron. I didn't think Kodak was represnted on this forum. Good to see you here.
Sad I have the exact same problem as rewetzel. My husband gave me the camera for Christmas and the lens cap keeps coming off at the slightest movement. I love to take pics at the soccer field of my kids and everywhere else, but cannot do so because since the lens cap will not stay on I do not take it many places. When I do decide to take it out, I have to either wrap it up or keep it in the case the majority of the time. This causes me to miss so many really great shots.Sad
Hi Kim,

Sounds like it's a recognised problem, and Kodak are willing to fix it. As posted in the thread above, send your details to Ron Baird from Kodak (ronbaird@kodak.com) and they should be able to sort you out.

Jules

Ron Baird Wrote:Greetings,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the lens cap on your camera. I suspect that somehow you got a lens cap with incorrect or poor tension springs. That is easily corrected. Let me know your full USMail address and details and I will be glad to arrange for a different lens cap. If you want to share and send us the cap you have we can review to find out what happened.

Send me an email with your details. Always glad to help out, let me know if you have questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
It is a strange fact that all the cameras/lenses I have owned or used, have a little plastic cap with a spring system to hold it on and a tiny little finger /fingernail grip.
If you dont grip it correctly it flicks from your fingers like a frisbee, breaking your nails at the same time and gets covered in who knows what.
Why, oh why, can't the mfgrs make a rubber push on cap, like a short tube, with the hard plastic bit moulded to the front.