DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: New 10mp Nikon DSLR on the way
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you haven't already seen this - Nikon has put up a flash teaser saying that there will be a new 10.2 megapixel DSLR added to their lineup - presumably to replace the D70s. This means that in addition to the D200, Nikon will have another 10.2 mp camera. They're certainly keeping mum about it and leaving much to hype and speculation...

Link to the teaser:
http://nikonimaging.com/global/

Coverage from dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/060720...teaser.asp

It is quite interesting to look at the lineups of the various manufacturers:

Canon: 350D (8mp), 30D (8mp), 5d (FF, 12mp)

Nikon: D50 (6mp), D?? (10mp), D200 (12mp)

Sony: Alpha (10mp)

Pentax: 6mp all the way

Note that the Canon 30D was introduced relatively recently, and many were quite disappointed that it wasn't the step up that they were expecting.

Not that more megapixels = better necessarily, but undoubtedly that will steer the consumers. Will also be interesting to find out how the noise performance on the new Nikon will be - more megapixels usually means more noise because they are trying to squeeze more pixels into the surface area at the expense of light.

I would expect many a sales pitch in camera stores will be -- get the new Nikon, it's got more megapixels than the Canon 30D... until of course, Canon comes out with a 12 mp replacement for the 350D (j/k) Big Grin

Also intriguing is that Panasonic announced updates to their consumer lineup as well, and their two top performers - the FZ50 and LX2 are now up to 10.2 mp as well.
4/3: E-500 (8mp), E330 (8mp), L-1 (8mp), E-1 (5mp)

Marketing will be the death of cameras.

I suppose, all things being equal, more megapixels would be nice -- but things are never equal. I have three cameras that each have 8mp resolution, and still think my three-year-old 5mp model gives me the best results.

...but I already know that I'm funny that way.
d80

there are few pix on the web already

or those that have not seen them

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/26/nikon...-revealed/
It's coming out tomorrow! August 9th... Big Grin

Can't wait...
It's out! And so is a new 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 and new 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR!!

And the dpreview has a preview of the new D80! Joy!

Very interesting - they've now got ISO100, just like the D200... Big Grin
I know a lot of the traditionalists won't like the SD card only format, but I don't mind it - easier compatibility with my laptop, PDA and camera as they all use the same format.
Looks very interesting - a great upgrade on the D70 series. Most significant improvements are in the area of metering IMO. I think the 10.2 sensor will be a nice edge resolution-wise as well. They seem to have incorporated a lot of the D200 features into the D80.

But what's with the switch to SD? I realize that the D50 uses SD - but I don't get the impression that the D80 is being positioned as a D50 upgrade. If I was a D70 owner with an investment in high end CF cards, this would be a neagtive in any purchase comparisons I might make.
sd card only, for sure a deal breaker. Not that i was in the market for one, but as Rob said, many current d70 owners probebly have a few cf cards...

/Paul L.
Yeah, interesting about the SD card only. Nowadays, SD cards are just as cheap as CF cards, draw less power, have a smaller form factor, etc. I suppose those with existing investments in CF cards will be hurt...

Perhaps they should have gone the dual CF/SD card reader path?

It's also interesting that the D80 is much smaller than the D70s - almost as small as the D50.
D80: 132 x 103 x 77 mm
D50: 133 x 102 x 76 mm
D70s: 140 x 111 x 78 mm

I'm sure the SD card would have a major part to do with it...
yes a combined slot would have been desired. CF is more or less the standard nowadays. Nevertheless the D80 seems to be a fine camera. Are you in the market for one Jules ?

/Paul L.
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Are you in the market for one Jules ?
Just watching intently at this stage... Big Grin

Maybe if I can offload my D50 to someone else I might consider it. It seems like an easy upgrade - I already have the memory card and lenses... Big Grin

Seems like a beefed up D50 with a few features from the D200. I could swear that Ken Rockwell reported (probably incorrectly in his speculative d80 page) that it was capable of metering for non AF lenses - too bad it doesn't. Sad
shuttertalk Wrote:I could swear that Ken Rockwell reported (probably incorrectly in his speculative d80 page) that it was capable of metering for non AF lenses - too bad it doesn't. Sad
According to dpreview lens compatibility for non CPU lense is as follows:

"Non-CPU : Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster"

On Ken Rockwell's site he says:

"Lenses: Works perfectly with any Nikkor AF lens ever made. Meter won't work with manual-focus lenses."

So I suppose if you are still using very old lenses, this might be a drawback. I'm not - are you?
Yes for those who collect some fine old glass this might be a dealbreaker.

Jules you do know if you get caught browsing "mr kens" site you could get in trouble.Big Grin

/Paul L.
Toad Wrote:On Ken Rockwell's site he says:

"Lenses: Works perfectly with any Nikkor AF lens ever made. Meter won't work with manual-focus lenses."
That was before he updated it with the correct info from the press releases... if you check google's cache, it says:

Quote:Works fine with old manual focus AI and AI-s lenses in A and M exposure modes. Tiny possibility it may also allow P and S exposure modes with manual lenses.
also

Quote:4.5 FPS, up from 3.
NOT!! Haha, I guess that's what I get from visiting sites like those and believing rumours... (lol @ Paul) Big Grin

Toad Wrote:So I suppose if you are still using very old lenses, this might be a drawback. I'm not - are you?
I don't... but they've got some really cheap quality old lenses floating around on ebay - it would have been nice to score some bargains and then be able to use it with the D80. Oh well, wishful thinking. Big Grin