DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: motor sport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
having just got my self an canon 350d, i am looking for a lens that would be able to take good shots of cars on a track. i have been considering a Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 DG MACRO Zoom lens , any thoughts or advice. have a bugget of £250
Welcome to Shuttertalk Jon.

Congratulations on your new camera - in terms of a lens for shooting fast cars I think that you are going to struggle on your budget. You really want a fast lens as you are photographing very fast objects.

Something with at least f 4.0 as a contant aperture or even better f 2.8. Sigma make a nice 100-300 f 4.0 lens (probably about twice the money you have budgeted) or a very nice 70-200 2.8 (about the same price as the other lens I recommended).

The 70-200 maybe a little short on the telephoto end - but on a crop sensor like yours it could be ok.

If you really can't find anymore money than I guess you will have to go with something like what you asked about - but I have no practical knowledge of the lens.
hi wedding shooter,
thanks for your reply. i thought i would be pushing it on my small budget , but im in the middle of building my house so money is tight at the moment ! Sad thats some smart kit you have !!
cheers
jon
Hi jon, have you had a look at Jessops recently. they have a lens special at the moment.
Link here
There may be others though.
Hi Jon - I understand, building a house is very expensive.

I should add an empty wallet to my kit list Wink

Thanks,

Chris