DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Which Mac for me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
'Bout time we start whipping up the Mac enthusiasts again.. Big Grin

Quote:Welcome to the first article in the series of “Which Mac For Me”. This first part we will focus on which setup suits a photographer best, both on a budget, and with cash to splash. Upcoming article in this series also include Which Mac For: video editors, web designers, and writers/bloggers.
http://glennwolsey.com/permalink/which-m...tographer/ [via digg]
You had me going there... I thought maybe you were asking a question for a relative. A distant cousin, perhaps. One that you don't like very much, maybe. Big Grin

Mine's white: I can safely recommend any in that colour.
There certainly is a style to the Mac that makes it stand out from the crowd. The problem is once you have one you can't stop.

You don't want to know how many Mac's I have at home...

Cheers,

Chris
I will certainly get the mac pro , second generation though, by that the os will take full advantage of the 64-bit cpu. And the bugs should be taken care of. For now i have to settle with my 2,5 quad.

I highly doubt i ever will buy another acd again, not unless apple change their supplier for their panels (Acer).

/Paul L.
matthew Wrote:Mine's white: I can safely recommend any in that colour.
Well, that's certainly a statement that came back to bite me: mine died last night. Naturally, I went out this morning and bought myself a new one. It's still white.

I have replaced a 1.2GHz iBook G4 with the new 2.0GHz MacBook. I haven't been able to do any side-by-side comparisons -- at least, not working ones -- but the new machine is sweet. If feels twice as fast, the screen looks great, and it has a DVD burner and bigger hard drive. I'm not too thrilled about spending the money, although insurance might help that, and had planned to "make do" with my old machine for another six months.

...but now I can finally try Lightroom. Off to Adobe I go...
I recently bought my wife a 1.83 MacBook - it is very nice and she is thrilled.
I'd hold off getting any Intel based Mac until Adobe release a native version of Photoshop for it, the current version would run under emulation of the old chipset so would be slower.
Moving from a 1.2GHz G4 iBook with 1gb of ram to a 2GHz MacBook with 2GB of ram, I have to say that Photoshop Elements 3.0's performance sucks cycles. It wasn't great on the G4, and running under emulation is slower. It's still usable, but I haven't been tempted to install my copy of Photoshop 7 on the new machine.

The good news is that I no longer need photoshop. I've been playing with Lightroom B3, and it's awesome. There's still a lot lo learn, and a lot may change, but I have no doubt that I'll be buying the final version when it comes out. It's a "fat" binary -- I still remember the transition from 68000 chips -- so it runs just fine on my MacBook. I've never been a heavy photoshop user, so Elements still works for the few tasks that I don't use Lightroom for.