DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Canon 400D / Rebel XTi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Canon fan-boys will be happy Smile - Canon announced the EOS 400D / Rebel XTi yesterday - an upgrade to their 350D / Rebel XT featuring a 10mp CMOS sensor, 2.5 inch LCD screen and integrated sensor cleaning system. The body itself is much the same, but gone is the greyscale LCD on the back, and the list price is $100 cheaper than its predecessor.

Sounds pretty good to me - I think for 350D users, the upgrade will be a no-brainer - as opposed to the toss up, say between the Nikon D70 and D70s.

Anyway, here's more information from dpreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/060824...belxti.asp

Again, I know most people here don't play megapixels game, but it's interesting to note that the mid-range 30D is a 8mp camera while this entry level 400D sports a 10mp sensor.

Thoughts anyone?
I was going to make a cheeky remark about dust removal, but I won't. Instead, I'll just offer a congratulations to them for figuring out a way around Olympus's patent.

Quote:The body itself is much the same, but gone is the greyscale LCD on the back, and the list price is $100 cheaper than its predecessor.
Hmm. I would pay the extra $100 for a separate status LCD. I'm now using both the E-1, which has a top-mounted LCD, and the E-300, which uses the main LCD to display its data. The E-300 is a sweet little machine, but I never know what it's doing. I know that they're both entry-level cameras, and their target market probably won't miss it, but it's still a step backwards. "Even" my F828 has one.

Quote:Again, I know most people here don't play megapixels game, but it's interesting to note that the mid-range 30D is a 8mp camera while this entry level 400D sports a 10mp sensor.
The 30D came out in, what, March? It's long overdue for an upgrade.
I am waiting to see wha they do with their 1 series body. I am hoping there maybe an announcement for Photokina.

The 400D looks good - they also increased the buffer on it. But I agree with Matt - the extra LCD is really useful and it being missing in action is a bit tragic.
I'm very interested in this actually, I need to get a backup digital camera, and I'd like to upgrade, but I really don't like the bulkyness of the bigger cameras, I love how small my 350D is- so this might be an option for me.
I know, its a weird thing to base a purchase on, but I just don't think my hands can handle a big heavy camera...its a girlie thing I know.
Schellamo Wrote:I really don't like the bulkyness of the bigger cameras ... I know, its a weird thing to base a purchase on, but I just don't think my hands can handle a big heavy camera...its a girlie thing I know.
On the contrary, I can't think of a better thing to base your decision on. I've always believed that feel and handling are the most important attributes of any camera. And, while I initially chose a large, heavy camera (and it's still my favourite for its controls and build) I've come to appreciate the lower bulk and lighter weight of a smaller camera.
I got a 400D today... So far I love it but do miss the separate Status screen of my 300D. Will post more once I have had more time to use it.
?? Is this the same 400D that has been on the market in Germany for about 4 or 5 months?
It's funny, because when I saw it back then I was very surprised that I hadn't heard anything about it on the media before it suddenly appeared in the shops.

uli
Yes Uli. It is.
So I'm curious to hear about it Craig!