DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Does anyone buy books from Amazon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quite a bit off topic, but I bought some books from Amazon the other day and was very pleased with the experience! I was after a couple of computer programming books (ruby on rails -- geek!) which would have cost at least $100 - $120 locally, not including shipping costs. In the end, it cost me $80 AUD to buy the books and ship them from the US... bargain!

Everything went really smoothly - the package arrived in around 3 weeks, and everything was packed well and the books were in pristine condition. The package looked like it had been opened slightly - probably upon inspection when it came into the country.

Too bad they only sell books internationally - otherwise I'd pick up some electronics bargians too. Nevertheless, they've got some interesting books in photography books - might pick some up next.

Just out of interest - do people here buy stuff from amazon? Do you buy books only or electronics, and photo gear too? I've always wondered - their prices seem pretty good for camera gear - what's the catch?

p.s. (Shameless plug) - By the way if you haven't visited our amazon branded store yet, do check it out! The prices are exactly the same as buying directly from amazon, and we get a small kickback for your support... Big Grin
I've been buying books from Amazon for years, the price in Australia through the roof. The flip side is the disappearing of reference books for IT/Photography from our local bookstores, i.e. Angus & Robertson/Dymocks - Borders Books are pretty good but so far only in areas with the larger populations. Nearest one to us is on the Central Coast. I like to peruse a book before I buy, Amazon has realised the problem giving us a look at a few pages online.
I am so sorry ST - I just ordered one and didn't realise that it was the same shop as here. Won't make that mistake again Sad

I tried this one as a test - hopefully it will arrive soon (it is a book on posing people - always ready to learn more).

I agree Pat - the books in the stores in Perth are really limited and expensive. We do have a Borders - just opened up. But I was still not that impressed with their range of photographic books.

Cheers,

Chris
We have bough books and dvds from Amazon very happily. My own book, "Nearly Full" is available through Amazon.ca.
Nope, sweden dropped the heavy taxes on books a few years back, so now its cheaper to buy local (or from swedish online stores) But i do use Amazon to look up books and to read reviews. Tongue

/Paul L.
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:But i do use Amazon to look up books and to read reviews. Tongue

/Paul L.
Yes, I definitely find the reviews really useful. Especially when there's like 6 books on the same topic and you don't know which one to choose...
We have pretty good bookstores in Vancouver, but I will occasionally order a specialty item from Amazon - last time it was a book on configuring SAP systems. That would be pretty hard to find in a bookstore.