DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Chistians and Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you think about movies or even TV in general? Like the music debate, but the BOX goes onen step further that in stimulates the mind and emotions visually (and sometimes more directly) too...

I was reading this article
http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=19001

Which presents the case that "Satan has used the medium to elevate mankind’s rebellious nature while downplaying the importance of our needed relationship with the Creator.... But Satan didn’t author this storytelling medium. Rather, God allowed man to discover the power of visual art forms."

Hm... what do you think?
Not read link article yet, but sounds about right.

The idiot-box is a curse 90% of the time.
As moderator of some forums, may I say "never bump messages".

Thank you.

Wink
I've reserved "Passion of the Christ" on DVD to watch tonight. Any feedback on this movie?
I wont say anything until you've seen it. I'd be extremely interested in your POV afterwards.

Smile
My wife saw it a few days ago and then lent it to a friend, so I haven't yet seen it. She said it was incredibly powerful, despite a few historical inaccuracies.
Well, I saw it. The one and only thing that I didn't like is that the gore was too much. Not to say it wasn't that intense for Christ but I think it went overboard. I don't think it was necessary for a movie to go to that extent.
Is it enough to know that Christ endured such agony and died for our sins or do we actually need to see it from another man's point of view?
For me, it really showed the suffering that Christ had to go through for us. When you read it in the bible, you may just gloss over the words, but when visually presented on screen in its historical context, it becomes clear.

It was a very hard movie for me to watch though, because I was cringing almost the whole way through. After the movie I felt both emotionally and physically drained :o
i like this movie. as for the very graphic imagery, this was intentional because the producers wanted the audience not only to watch but to experience Christ's passion itself. this is why the movie has a very powerful effect on its audience. where most movies show violence for the simple reason of entertaining, the reason for violence here is opposite.

the violence was not without basis. archeology/history unearthed/showed the instruments used by romans on how they inflict pain and sentence people to death.
i think it would not be hard to believe that if people centuries from now get to unearth a revolver, a grenade or a nuclear bomb, their CSI team would have no trouble finding out their effect on the human body.

has anyone asked ... 'when Christ said "It is finished.", what was He reffering to as "finished?", maybe this should be another topic ...

"there is no truth .. without risk ..
there is no change ... without courage'" from the movie "Veronica Guerin"
On the original topic, I don't watch TV other than 20 minutes here and there.

I do watch movies, haven't seen the Passion.
samuel Wrote:has anyone asked ... 'when Christ said "It is finished.", what was He reffering to as "finished?", maybe this should be another topic ...

Hi samuel! I think Jesus was referring to his work of redeeming mankind when he said "It is finished".

Others will probably have a different (or more detailed) view, but that's my take on it in a nutshell.