DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: The smell of burning...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I spend a decent amount of time setting up a shot tonight trying to produce something similar to this shot which I love (by photographer "Lord V"):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/69023187/

Anyway... I had a macro set up on the tripod, shooting at a water surface very close to the lens. I took about 25 shots within about 5-10 minutes. Everyshot I fired my Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash with the closeup diffuser down.
On the last shot I noticed a strange smell....
I looked at the front of the flash in horror to see a black burnt spot in the centre of the diffuser. The bulb must be right up close to the diffuser because of the macro settings and the heat has started to burn it.....

[Image: IMGP6187.jpg]

[Image: IMGP6185.jpg]

I only bought the flash about a month ago brand new for $200 and haven't used it that much yet...
I have just checked the manual for the lens and there is nothing to warn about this happening.
Will I get my money back if I try to take the flash back???
Help!
Shane
Oh!! So sorry for this Shane...

I think all depends on your dealer and the clauses in your invoice and sgma's warranty ... I see dificult to get your money back... I see more likely to get a new from sigma...
Ouch!

My flash did come with a caution about rapid sequential firing, but even 25 shots in five minutes is over 10 seconds per discharge. And from the setup, it shouldn't be discharging anywhere near full power. I'd be making some unhappy phone calls.
Ouch... sorry to hear the bad news Shane...

I certainly hope you can get it repaired/replaced under warranty. I don't think what you were doing is unreasonable to expect from a flashgun...
Let us know how you go - I think you were not being too abusive.