DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: lightning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all, no pics to this post.....Sad We had a big storm here last tuesday, with a lightning strike across the road. It was really something to see, it must have earthed in the water pipes as it blew a water main across the road. Next door to us TV, we lost a new phone and had the phone lines down for a couple of days. I also lost my computer........unfortunately because of its age I can not claim it on insurance....on the up side my hard drive is still working!! Also its a new long overdue PC for me!!

I bought an external USB drive enclosure for my hard drive, one to make sure it still works and two I can also use it for back ups. I have hooked it up to my wife's laptop and the drive is in workng order Big Grin I can see all the files but I can not access my documents where all my pics etc are held....... :| not being a wizz I need some help!!

To retreive my data, pics etc do I have to make the External USB drive bootable or copy the lot over to laptop?? or seek pro helpBig Grin

I know some of our members are in the comp field.

any advice would be great

cheers
Commisserations Russ, cant help you with any tech solution however :/
Hi Russt, my external drive works just like a cd or dvd. When it is plugged in and switched on the pc recognises it as an add-on and it appears in 'Start'-'My Computer'.
I just access it there the same as with a cd, or floppy.
thanks for the commis Pat......its bad timing with Xmas so close but I needed a new PC anyway.

NT thats how this works....it comes up as f/drive but because it's everything that was on my pc all the info is held behind desktops.......so I think I have to install or copy the hard drive over when I get the new pc make it an active drive/partition and boot it up. Once this is down I will be able to log on and retrieve all my data pics etc. The good news is it all still works........and this will make a great external backup once its all done.