DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Internet Explorer 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone upgraded yet? I just went back to using IE after using Firefox and found the upgrade to be excellent. Sorry Mozilla but I think MS is back to bing a contender.Wink

For those interested, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx
Hey Peto, I use Firefox as a browser of choice on all my work and home computers, but my new media centre PC came with IE7.

It's not bad - most visible improvement is tabbed browsing, which Firefox has done for ages already. I still like Firefox because of all the add-ons, which make it invaluable.

Jules
I've been using IE7 for a few weeks now, its pretty good especially with the add-ons, have a look at them Jules - you might be pleasantly surprised. Big Grin
Pat Wrote:I've been using IE7 for a few weeks now, its pretty good especially with the add-ons, have a look at them Jules - you might be pleasantly surprised. Big Grin
Hee hee, will do... Big Grin
I have had this on for a few days now I am so far happy with what it has to offer........very much like firefox even down to some of the shortcut keys.....Smile I guess it will come down to what you are used too
I thought I'd bump up this thread to see if there are more people making the switch. How how about it guys? I'm still sticking with it.Smile
I haven't tried it yet...! Big Grin
I got a new computer in November, and G installed IE7. It wasn't a change for me, because I have always had IE in my computer, and Firefox just as an alternative to check how my website looks with that browser.

I think, I don't use it fully, because I don't know all the capabilities this browser has, but I am happy with it.
I am given upgrades by MS for allsorts so I have IE7 and apart from tabbed browsing, which I ain't got the hang of its the same as IE1 Big Grin
Whats tabbed browsing? Same as open another window?
NT73 Wrote:Whats tabbed browsing? Same as open another window?
Correct... instead of opening pages in a new window, you can open new pages in a "tab" which appears under the address bar. You can switch between the open tabs by clicking on them, or by pressing CTRL-tab.

It's similar to having lots of browser windows open, but you don't clutter up your workspace taskbar, and it's much easier to navigate (IMHO).
I just downloaded it today
Using it now! Looks good! weeeeeeeeee!
Seeing as it took them over 5 years to produce you would expect it to be pretty good. Interesting that Firefox launched version 2 a few days afterwards. Firefox version 2 has some pretty bad problems with memory leaks so eventually makes you computer run slower and slower but has so many amazing add-ons it it still my browser of choice. Tabbed browsing is excellent, once you have used it you will never want to go back!

IE 7 is still not fully standards compliant (this means it does not display things how it it meant to) which means a real pain for web designers who have to make lots of adjustments to make their sites work in IE7. A lot of sites have still not been fixed so look a little odd in IE7. There are also concerns over security. IE6 was the most unsecure browser with MS producing fixes and patches on a monthly basis. Seems IE7 is better but flaws were still found very quickly. Overall it is a good upgrade but if you want a seriously good, free and secure browser go for Opera. They had tabbed browsing and a lot of the other functions years ago.
Firefox is my browser of choice, and it's interesting what you've pointed out about the memory leaks in FF2. I don't see much difference between version 2 and 1.5 (most apparent is the tab close buttons on the tabs themselves)...
When you load Opera or Firefox what do you do with I.E.?
On the assumption that you delete it and then want it back is it easy to reload?
NT73 Wrote:When you load Opera or Firefox what do you do with I.E.?
On the assumption that you delete it and then want it back is it easy to reload?
You can have all three installed. Whenever you click on a shortcut on your desktop the default browser is the one that will open.
Slick interface but as a web developer I hate the fact they their standards support is still pitiful! Firefox or Opera for me!

Edit: All one needs to do is check out the Acid Test. Look at it in Firefox then IE7.
I still prefer Firefox with all my extensions Smile