DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Insurance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone insures their equipment, and how that works? Or does everyone just rely on warranty to get stuff fixed if broken, and/or home/contents insurance for theft, fire etc.?
I insure all my major photo equip for full replacement value as special riders on my home insurance policy.
Does that cost more?

Any claims so far?
Umm I tihnk my parent said they have upgraded their insurance so it convers my camera for outside of the ouse (inside covered with house and contents) so it is now covered if it is dropped of a cliff or something As far as I know, But one thing I am sure on, I will not by tryingout the insurace policy =P
shuttertalk Wrote:Just wondering if anyone insures their equipment, and how that works? Or does everyone just rely on warranty to get stuff fixed if broken, and/or home/contents insurance for theft, fire etc.?

Ditto!

It's pretty cheap; I think I pay an extra $30 a year? But it covers everything - theft, fire, accidental drop kicking, etc., at full replacement cost. I think it's called an "all risk" rider.

Got one for the wife's wedding ring set, too.
If you are just using your camera for personal usage you can have it covered under your home and contents insurance easily enough for minimal cost. The same can be achieved on a business basis if you run a business premises and cover it as tools and equipment, you can also insure it seperately for about $10k of gear it is about AU $300 a year.

Another one that is a must is public liability insurance.
StudioJ Wrote:Another one that is a must is public liability insurance.

Sorry for being stupid but what is that?
Public Liability covers against any damage arising from negligent acts on my or an employee when on-site, normally it is used when I am at a venue such as a race track or club but also valid if someone hurts themself on my property.

It starts out at around $1 million and goes upto ludicrous amounts, currently I have $20 million because of working in close proximity to motor racing, its not overly expensive where photography is concerned as its based on risk assessment, currently its around $700 for the year. $5 million is a common amount and is about $200 a year.
So if someone were to triover your tripod? So you have anypics of the race cars?
Yes Dewy something like that, any mishaps that happen to someone else.

I don't shoot a lot of the races themselves, I'm normally in attendance looking after the promotional girls or "grid girls" as they are called. The main client is the Historic Touring Cars/Biante with drivers like Peter Brock when he is driving his old Torana.
So... I've been thinking about this more...
Especially after getting the repair estimate for my 12-24 this morning.
$8 for the component, and around $170 for the service charge, then add postage back to me and GST = Sad
If I were insured against accidental damage (even though it wasn't an accident, it just stopped working), does this mean insurance would pay for the repair?

Now I've got broken 30D, broken 300D, broken sigma flash, broken 12-24, broken 17-85.
Not really all broken broken, but just not functionally properly.

Any insurance recommendations? Just incase for next time Sad
My gear is covered up to £1000 for any one claim, via house insurance (if I take it on holiday or abroad ) for such things as accidental damage. theft. etc.
As my gear only adds up to about that I don't need to have extra.
But make sure it is worded as new for old That may incur a surcharge but I only got £25.00 from one company for a lost camera costing £250. I know it was around 4/5 years old, but how much wear and tear does a domestic camera get. Mine was immaculate. Of course that company has lost my business.
If you have homeowners insurance, it may cover that sort of thing. You might need to have a list of gear with your provider -- read higher premiums -- and pay a separate deductible, just like any high-value or high-risk item. Aside from that, if it's not being used for a business there's no reason why it shouldn't be covered.