DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Windows Vista
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if anyone is using Windows Vista, or is thinking about upgrading to Vista? I've heard a lot of buzz about it mainly in Media Centre PC forums, mainly because there is a completely new MCE interface/app, but I'm wondering whether it will make much of a difference for digital photographers? After all, it's just an OS, and for us, Photoshop is where the action takes place.

It seems pretty expensive to buy outright, so I'm thinking I would probably only get it if I bought a new system and it came with it. I'm not itching to go out and get it, but just curious. Big Grin

Apparently to run the Premium graphics effects as well, you need a minimum of 1G memory and 256mb graphics card, which rules out my current laptop.. Big Grin
Nope, OSX all the way, then again vista is somewhat a osx wannabe from what iv gathered... Big Grin

Now kill me.Big Grin

/Paul L.
I typically wait for at least the first service pack to be released of a new Windows OS before I buy. So far, I haven't seen much new that intrigues me. Eventually, I will have to upgrade, but not just now, I think.
I saw this little tidbit over at a news blog: http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6157801...&subj=news

cnet Wrote:According to one Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "When you edit the properties of a photo to add metadata to that photo in Windows Vista, the software for the digital camera may no longer recognize the metadata that is automatically added to the photo by the digital camera."
Messing with raw data files is always risky, since they're proprietary and undocumented -- but in this case, apparently several manufacturers have provided the means to do so to Microsoft. (Imagine, companies willing to allow others to access and edit proprietary formats... I guess Nikon and Olympus didn't want to be the next babies that somebody knifes.)

This little problem does illustrate two of the data-management principles that I live by. One is "don't edit raw files." DNG is designed to allow metadata to be changed, and is a documented format. My original raw files are immediately archived and I never touch them again. The other principle has something to do with my software selection.
I've posted this same question elsewhere at another forum. So far what I'm getting is thast Vista is a lot of eye candy.
Played with a co-workers laptop with it, cheap laptop, 256mb of ram...slower than my 4 year old laptop running XP.

Oh, and Hey guys, been a while!
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:Nope, OSX all the way, then again vista is somewhat a osx wannabe from what iv gathered... Big Grin

Now kill me.Big Grin

/Paul L.
I am with you Paul Big Grin - Of course OS X still works on my three year old's 8 year old iMac.
Couple of threads on slashdot regarding slow vista adoption, and also Office 2007:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02...2&from=rss
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02...6&from=rss
shuttertalk Wrote:Couple of threads on slashdot regarding slow vista adoption, and also Office 2007:
Well its hard to get people to spend their money to replace something that works quite well and does the job with something that they didn't ask for and don't need...
That's very true Mr. T... the leap from Windows 98 to XP was revolutionary, as XP brought lots of goodies such as hardware compatibility, plug and play, and USB stuff. XP to vista... is yet to be seen I guess. But XP is stable, works well, runs apps and games extremely well and is friendly on hardware specs.

Business adoption will be slow, I expect, as enterprises need stability in their rollouts.
I'm using Windows Vista Looks good a little different in installing things a lot of clicking OK. But as for the Photos works great, Photoshop still works just like it always did.
More gripes about vista, this time from PC World:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070220...rld/129126
Sorry, don't mean to do so much Vista-bashing today, but just read an article (via slashdot) which suggests that 4GB of ram is the optimal amount of RAM, whereas it was 2GB with XP.

Quote:That's due in part to Windows SuperFetch, which takes data from the hard drive, stores it in the available RAM and makes it readily accessible to the processor. SuperFetch depends a great deal on user predictability and takes snapshots of user activity. If SuperFetch determines that an application is launched at a particular time, it will have it loaded into the available RAM. With more RAM, there's more caching and better software response, said Short.
Well, at risk of sounding repetitious, please let me know when you identify some feature of Vista that I actually need or want...
I have been using Vista Ultimate RTM at home now since probably early December. Sure it does require a better PC and I wouldn't suggest upgrading purely for Vista. I do however think it is really nice to use. The user interface is really slick and makes XP look pretty dated in comparison. Also there have been plenty of changes under the hood. I have had no issues at all either hardware or software wise so I guess I'm pretty lucky! There will always be problems for major releases like this.

One thing to note is I also installed Vista on my kids PC with no anti-virus. So far after nearly 3 months not 1 infection. I was rebuilding their XP machine usually every 2 months or so...complete with virus and spyware scanners.

I also use Ubuntu so this isn't a totally biased opinion! Smile
Part of an E-mail from Tiscali today.
[The introduction of Windows Vista has caused some problems throughout the industry, mainly due to incompatibility issues with other software. If you are upgrading to Vista there are scenarios where you may experience problems, such as being unable to connect to the Internet. This is due to incompatibility issues with your existing modem software and Vista.

Most other ISP’s are experiencing the same difficulties, and Tiscali is working hard (along with our modem supplier) to ensure full compatibility with Vista, and we expect to have a complete solution in the next few weeks. We suggest you wait until this is ready before purchasing Vista.]

I am not sure what I am running (originally XP), but since M/Soft Windows XP updated my PC to Vista? I get upgrades daily.
Sometimes it seems slower, but there again it may be. Rolleyes
I'm still getting used to XP Pro. I just switched from Windows ME. Well my desktop had a workover and the tech found blown memory and burned out capacitors that accounted for my troubles. But that aside, Windows XP works great!
I love XP...Vista, not so much, I have worked on 3 of my colleagues machines already, all new!
Last month I upgraded.

From 98se to 2000 Tongue
I love it!
I will not be rushing to upgrade, probably be when I get a new PC in a couple of years.