DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Exercise!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Slightly off topic, but I thought I'd share a new past time of mine - going to the gym! Some of you may remember that my wife gave me a gym membership as christmas pressie this year. I was a bit ho hum at first, as I was never a gym type person - I always preferred swimming or playing sport. I do admit that as of late, I've noticed that my pants have become tighter and shirts not fitting properly when they used to -- basically due to a lifestyle of sitting at a desk all day at work, and then sitting in front of the TV or computer at home, coupled with no exercise. My lifestyle needed a change.

So far it's been 2 months of going to the gym, faithfully going 3 times a week after work. My usual routine would be to spend some time on the cross trainer, and then some time on the treadmill. Occasionally, I would do a group weights class. They've got a row of TVs in front of the exercise equipment, so I can even catch up on the news or cooking shows (pretty ironic Big Grin).

Surprisingly, even after the first month, I could really feel the difference. I'm pretty sure it's not psychological - I feel more mentally alert, definitely not as lethargic, and I'm able to sleep well at night and stay awake through the whole day, without feeling sleepy in meetings, etc. My weight hasn't dropped yet, but I can feel my body becoming more firm, where there was one flab... Big Grin

I'm also planning to do a 15.2 km charity fun run/walk in April, which should be exciting. I've never done anything like that before, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a bit about my latest passion... does anyone engage in any sports / exercies / activities too? Tell us about it!
I do a few 10 ounce wrist curls from time to time...
Like Toad, I'm proficient at tipping back a drink or ten, so my forearms look like Popeye's late at night, or so they seem... Tongue

To be serious for a moment, because my lady is getting healthier with exercise and more careful eating these days the result is a bit of progress in weight loss for myself as well. Less butter and cheese and fat in my diet is a good thing at my age.
It really does help with both stamina and sleep, so good for you Jules!
I'll never join a gym but I really want to get a mountain bike, which can't do anything but help my chances of finding new places to take pictures.

Just don't try to take away my daily ration of chocolate.
It's vital brain food. Big Grin
My wife bought me a set of Golf clubs for Christmas... the main idea be that a few miles walking with a 30 pound bag of clubs will do me good!

I haven't played in years and was terrible when I did, will be interesting to see how bad I am now once my back and foot are back in working order.
Good on you jules. Smile I have a membership that I've been neglecting for a year. I havent played hockey in a year and last summer my mountain biking was limited. I need to change all that.

Craig, hope the back and foot get better. I know how it feels to be injured and stuck in a rut.
Jules good to hear the gym is going well...... I think exersise is one of those things that you need to find what works for you.
I do some floor exercises (push ups sit ups etc) a few times a week(boring). I also walk or ride each morning before work, Its a great way to start the day! On the weekend I like to do at leat one cross country mountain bike ride. The bike makes it fun for me and that keeps me going.

I also do a few 10 ounce wrist curls so the exercise helps keeps pace with this Rolleyes If only I didn't I might be able to loose the veranda (gut) Big Grin