DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: I want a new computer!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello hello Shuttertalkers!

I think it's time for a new computer!
I've been using my Acer Travelmate 371TCi laptop for processing my photographs for the past 3 years (Pentium M 1.4GHz, 512mb ram, 80gb hdd, 12.1" screen). It's great for internet surfing, msn and just playing around. I format it every semester for a *fresh start* and it works just like new Smile However, I'm becoming dissatisfied with the speed. It feels very laggy (perhaps because I'm now dealing with 8mp photographs as before I was only dealing with 6mp photographs? haha). I still will use my laptop for on-the-go, like going to uni, but I think that processing my photographs (mostly digital photo professional and some photoshop) can be done at home, on a more powerful desktop computer (and I envision some big monitors).
I had considered macbook pro, macbook, imac and it was a keen idea which played in my mind, but I think I will go the wintel route (with the main reason being cost).

If I budget about AUD$1200 (not including monitor, keyboard & mouse), are there any recommended specs?
The main purpose of this machine will be for processing my photographs, one by one, or batch, and for playing internet when I'm home. I think that I will leave ANSYS and other course-work for the uni computers.

I've fallen way way behind in keeping up with what's going on for computer hardware, but roughly, I think I'd go for these components (tell me what you think).

Core 2 Duo (which speed, I'm not sure, depending on how much they cost. Which would be most 'value'?)
Motherboard - I saw a nice ASUS P5 motherboard. Are there any with built in Wireless LAN, on board many things. - and are there downsides to having things onboard?
Graphics card - would I need a good one for photographs? I'm not much of a gamer - perhaps the onboard one may suffice? I think I would like one with multiple monitor capabilities (maybe just 2 would be enough), any suggestions?
Ram - It's DDR2 now? How much is recommended?

and most likely I'll go for Windows XP as I don't believe that I need Vista just yet.

Any other suggestions about other components I should consider, or other things are welcome Smile
Memory, get as much memory as you can afford (at least 1GB) XP (or Vista I guess now) eats the memory so the more you have to start with the better.
Processors, AMD offerings tend to be cheaper than the equivalent speed Intel chips.
I share your sentiment Adam - 512mb on my laptop just isn't cutting it anymore. I would agree regarding memory - as much as possible. 1GB min for Vista, 2GB even better. DDR2 is standard, with different speeds, 533 MHz, 667, 800 etc.

Core 2 Duo sounds good - either that or the AMD X2.

I tend to find that things in the middle of the road tend to represent most bang for your buck; for example when I built my media centre PC, I got a good deal on 667 Mhz memory, 320g Hard disk (when 400g and 500g were out), etc.

Once you know the specs and parts that you want, I have two words for you - staticice.com.au and shopbot.com.au Big Grin
Thanks!
I think I'll aim for 2GB DDR2, what about the ram speed? 533, 667, 800? higher the better?
Yeh, I don't think I'll go for top top top of the range stuff, the middle of the road *should* do for moe!
Yup, higher the better... let us know once you've decided on the specs! Big Grin

I'd actually be interested to know about the graphics card and whether it has an effect on photoshop performance. Does anyone know?
After all the excitement and thoughts about getting a computer,
I turned on my P4 2.4GHz computer (bought back in the end of 2002), which I did not turn on for a long long time because it would randomly restart or hang. This time I ran it with the extra cd burner not plugged in - and it didn't hang at all! So I think maybe the powersupply couldn't handle everything. Seeing as the computer is alright, I think I'll just put more ram in there (it's only got 256mb PC2100 ram in there at the moment!), a bigger hard disk, a good graphics card (to support 2 monitors) and get a nice monitor for it, then it should be in action.. Hopefully Big Grin