DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Paper plane challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Paper plane challenge, build a plane and have a fly off with your mates

http://www.solidworkspilot.com/
Hey that was quite addictive - almost as addictive as the other one that Peto sent us...

What's your record? I can't seem to get past the 34m mark...

My favourite configuration is the square shaped plane, full weight, full flaps and winglets, and then gently throw it with a slight upward motion. I took me a while to realise that pulling it fully back doesn't help (too hard) - needs a gentle touch..
Hmmm 3 throws in th 35.4-35.7 them made some changes and can't get past 32! Frustrating, I want my hour back!
That site locked-up two different browsers :mad:

My real paper airplanes are designed to climb, circle around the room once or twice and then land in my hands.

Before he went off to Viet Nam, by father and his other pilot buddies spent an afternoon drinking beer and folding hundreds of paper airplanes, which were stored in a big bottom drawer in the dining room.
I was only three and couldn't make my own, so whenever I needed a plane I would open the drawer and pull out a new one.
How sad is it that a person spends a couple of hours trying to throw a pixel plane further! 46.2m

[Image: plane462.jpg]
Well done saddo.Big Grin 38.0 my best so far.
I wish i knew how to do a screen shot . I got 47.5 . But it wasnt easy LOL ..

...... Shawn
You press a little key on the keyboard that says (Print Scrn.)
And then paste it into Paint /Photoshop etc. then treat it like a photo.
Like this pasted into Irfanview.
Whoops too big.This is better.
[Image: 13_Clipboard01.jpg]
shuttertalk Wrote:Hey that was quite addictive - almost as addictive as the other one that Peto sent us...

What's your record? I can't seem to get past the 34m mark...

My favourite configuration is the square shaped plane, full weight, full flaps and winglets, and then gently throw it with a slight upward motion. I took me a while to realise that pulling it fully back doesn't help (too hard) - needs a gentle touch..
My record so far is 46m using the last design with half flaps and winglets.
alastair_hm Wrote:My record so far is 46m using the last design with half flaps and winglets.
ooo... how about weight?
Maybe 10 years ago, someone bought me a book called 'The world record Paper Aeroplane',
In it are full instructions for 16 different models, how to fly them and throw etc. and at the back, are four printed sheets (both sides) for each of the 16 designs.One of them just for fun is a circular one. (Tube shape)
It is made by folding 1cm over and over again until the sheet is about 1/2 width and then glueing in a circle.
Throw by flicking like a quarter back does with the oval ball.
They are meant for indoors but I have flown them outside. Excuse the Artistic drawing. Big Grin

Half a sheet of A4 cut lengthways ( 27.9 x 13.5 cm) and then as plan below. So each A4 sheet will make 2.
Stick with adhesive tape or glue.

[Image: roller.jpg]
Interesting design NT73... would have never thought that a tube could fly... Big Grin
Stranger things have happened ST but everyone was amazed at work, when I made a few. They fly for, maybe 20/30 feet.
I will just edit plan a little.
when i was small, we used to have competitions about who can fly the paper planes the farest/farestest...the longest....lol
i remember having my arm very sore weeks and weeks

[Image: 14_screen1.jpg]

lol

love this

[Image: 17_screen2.jpg]

[Image: 50_screen3.jpg]
48.9 Smile Plance C, ZERO weight! 27 degree with winglets.

[Image: 489.jpg]
Beat me by 1. Wink
Not now.
[Image: paper%20aero.jpg]

Motorised plane. Big Grin Oh forgot the marker board. Tongue
NT73 Wrote:Oh forgot the marker board. Tongue
Very clever...almost.
I'm playing now Big Grin
ah ha! solidworks Big Grin we use that at uni Smile
Guess what I found?
http://www.paperang.com/

Quote:'The Best Paper Airplane System in the World'

The Paperang is a sensationally high performance, easy to make, precision engineered paper airplane. Learn how to build it by downloading the fully illustrated instructions.
shuttertalk Wrote:Guess what I found?
http://www.paperang.com/

Quote:'The Best Paper Airplane System in the World'

The Paperang is a sensationally high performance, easy to make, precision engineered paper airplane. Learn how to build it by downloading the fully illustrated instructions.
Hey ST. I was flying those a long while ago. (15/20 years) I can't remember where the plan came from though, but certainly not paperang. Maybe a kite magazine.