DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Gmail - why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone on another forum was giving out gmail invites, so I got one for the sake of getting it.

What's the big deal? Does anyone use it? Is it anything special?
i use it ..
just for the heck of it ..
apart from the 1gb storage ...
the mail system is a bit different i nthe way they present the messages .. other than that ,, not much difference to any other email ..
im not sur ehow the junk filtering compares tho ,,,
peter Wrote:just for the heck of it ..

That's pretty much why I got it - just for the heck of it! Smile
They are alledgedly "sought after" because there is a limited number of accounts available right now.

My guess is that it is Google trying to create an artificial sense of privilege around their email service and thus creating a buzz about their products (to strengthen their new IPO).
I've got one and used it a fair bit at first but not much anymore.
I don't use it much too, but one cool thing about it is because not everyone has access to it yet, you have a decent chance of scoring a decent username, instead of something like de_axeman1234@yahoo.com...
It does have some usability features here and there which are cool - like autocomplete for addresses, those "hidden" reply boxes so that you don't have to go to a new page, etc. But like everyone, I haven't been using it that much... Smile

I've got 6 invites if anyone wants one! Big Grin
I'll take one of yours ST - the guy on the other forum wants me to post my current email for all to see (including spambots) and he won't take a PM. What's up with that? I'll send you a PM. THANKS!
If anyone wants an e-mail address with webmail you can have one of mine...

It will be in the form of user@hotshemail.com though Wink
StudioJ Wrote:It will be in the form of user@hotshemail.com though Wink

Have anything to do with your photographic niche?
Ok dude... invite sent! Smile
slejhamer Wrote:
StudioJ Wrote:It will be in the form of user@hotshemail.com though Wink

Have anything to do with your photographic niche?

Nah just thought it was a funny one compared to www.hotmail.com, I have the domain for sale and was offered US $800 for it, might be of value to some transgendered folk with a web interest.
lol... you joker, j... Smile
Any one else who wants gmail I have about 18 invites =)
dewy Wrote:I have about 18 invites =)

Good to know that this is such an exclusive club!
Big Grin