DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: How to make and use a pinhole camera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This a pretty cool article from Kodak: how to make and use a pinhole camera.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/...oleCamera/

Make sure you see this page too, which goes more into the detail of how to actually make and use it.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/...nBox.shtml

[via digg]

Anyone played or used a pinhole camera before? My wife says she built one in photography class in high school and had heaps of fun taking photos of coke cans, trees and other things around the schoolyard... Big Grin
Ooh aar Jim lad, but a very long time ago. Can't remember much about them. Before I used glass slides or sheet film. Developed them at home and made the sink go green. Big Grin
My son made a pinhole camera in his graphics class that had a zoom lens...

Really - it was made of 2 tubes that slid inside each other - that varied the angle of view on the back plane - the poor man's zoom.
A pinhole camera is something I've always wanted to make. I hear really good things about how sharp you can get your images if you do the apeture mechanism just right!!!

-Matt-
Hey Matthew, long time no see! Big Grin

What have you been up to? Big Grin
I've made one in primary school but the picture it took wasn't nice, so I threw it away Sad
However, I've turned my dslr into a pinhole camera before by holding a piece of cardboard with taped on aluminium foil infront with a pinhole in it. Big Grin
adam Wrote:However, I've turned my dslr into a pinhole camera before by holding a piece of cardboard with taped on aluminium foil infront with a pinhole in it. Big Grin
With the lens off or on?

When plastics first came into general usage, small miniature cameras came on the market. At first they were basically an openable box with a (dubious ) camera shape with a pinhole in front and a shutter mechanism worked with a spring clip. A cheaper version of a box brownie but more manageable.
Some were square format and others oblong and held roll film. The cheap disposable cameras of today only seem to have a lens and pre-loaded film to make them much different.
We could buy them in the market and later they were converted to water pistols. Rolleyes