DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Wierd speedlight issue - not going into standby when camera turned off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you've all probably heard, I've been having some wierd issues with my nikon sb600 flashgun. The flash was firing weakly, and at first, I thought my batteries died so I bought a replacement set (duracell 2650 mah nimh). Then I discovered that it was the charger and I've got a new one now too.

I thought the issues were resolved, but when I took my flashgun to my wife's graduation today, I found a wierd issue where it wouldn't go into standby when I turned the camera off. I could hear the whine of it charging constantly, even when I turned the camera off. It seemed to work fine though - all my flash shots turned out well.

Anyway, I got home today and put in my old set of batteries (energizer 2300 mah nimh) and it's working fine now! It goes into standby when I turn the camera off, etc.

Maybe I just need to charge and discharge the new set a few times, give it a few cycles to reach normal peak performance. I certainly hope it's not the flashgun itself...

Anyone experience similar issues, or can provide some suggestions or hints?
I've had issues with a Sigma 500 on my Rebel 300. It was doing all sorts of weird stuff, that was cured with a different set of freshly charged batteries, so would tie in with the issues your having.
That's interesting Craig... maybe the new set needs a few cycles to charge up to full capacity. I'll see how it goes.