DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Mark 3 has landed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got the call from the shop today - your Mark III has arrived. Would you like to pick it up?

What a beautiful camera - the out of the box experiance was very nice. Battery charing at the moment.

I have a short shoot on Saturday and will let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,

Chris
Congrats, Chris, that hust be incredibly exciting. I've heard great things about this machine.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:I got the call from the shop today - your Mark III has arrived. Would you like to pick it up?
Were you in the shop before they'd hung up the phone? Big Grin
Excellent!!!
How EXCITING Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Have fun! Battery charging time is always good time to read the manual Big Grin
adam Wrote:Excellent!!!
How EXCITING Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Have fun! Battery charging time is always good time to read the manual Big Grin
I couldn't read the manual because I was in the middle of a studio shoot. Sad Of course - that didn't stop me dropping everything for 20 minutes to go and pick up my baby Smile

LOL Matthew - the guy said I sounded like a little school boy on the phone when I heard it was in.
Sounded like a schoolboy... hahaha Tongue Wouldn't blame you... Mk III... so exciting Tongue Time to update your signature at the bottom Tongue haha Big Grin

Dont' forget to share your impressions of it here with us Big Grin

I know I don't need another camera, and told myself that I won't buy one until I start full time work, but.. it's so tempting! (but I keep having to remind myself that I'm not professional, and shouldn't be buying so much)... haha Tongue
Goes off to update signature Big Grin
Wow! Congrats!!

Let us know how it turns on..erm Big Grin

/Paul L.
1d3, 5d, 30d, 20d..... really nice collection there Smile
One more and you never have to change lenses again Tongue Just change bodies when you go out.
How many do you usually bring to a job?

5d looks so nice Tongue
Congrats WS ! i know its been tough waiting.

...... Shawn
adam Wrote:1d3, 5d, 30d, 20d..... really nice collection there Smile
One more and you never have to change lenses again Tongue Just change bodies when you go out.
How many do you usually bring to a job?

5d looks so nice Tongue
I will be bringing all four - first job tomorrow with the 1D3. There are two of us shooting - so a back-up for each of us.
Niiiice! Big Grin
I worked at Subiaco oval today just before the game - marching around holding advertisement for the sponsor and shouting. We started in the same room as where the pro photoographers were.
Huge white L lenses - makes the 70-200 look tiny.
I was surprised when one pulled out the 1d mk III from his camera bag and it didn't even have a body cap on when he pulled it out. Either he very quickly removed it when I wasn't looking, but it looked as if he just pulled it out without a body cap... I was shocked while also in awe of the gear! haaa, so nice looking gear.... gear...!
Press photographers - don't pay for the gear - don't care for the gear :mad:
Do you have any tips for taking pictures on the beach? Thanks
Welcome to ST Karendemilo.

I don't do a lot of beach weddings. But the key to working in open sun is to balance your flash with ambient light. Look at where the direction of the sun is and decide if you are going to use it as your main light, hair light, etc... and then use your flash to compensate.

Discuss with the couple where they will be standing in relation to the sun and try and work with them to get them in the position that will work best for the type of lighting you want to achieve.

You might want to also study up on using off camera flash as this is the best way to make harsh lighting conditions look beautifully lit. A good place to start learning this is at:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Chris
Hey Chris,

Great to see you have your 1D3. Big Grin I saw some shots from it in your other threads and it's looking beautiful. I hope you are happy with it.

It seems that I am in the market for a 1D3 too at the moment, and I'd love to pick your brains a little bit if I could to benefit from the shopping around that you've already done.

My workplace has a government account with Team Digital, so buying through them I can get a bit more of a discount and also avoid paying GST, finishing up at around AU$4900. My work is contributing about half the money and I'll be salary-sacrificing to pay for the rest.
This is great, except Team Digital have no stock at the moment. I have my name down (2nd in line) for their next shipment which is due in a bit over 2 weeks, but due to a shortage from Canon Japan they can't guarantee that they will be receiving any 1D3 bodies in that shipment, so it might take up to 2 months!
Now I don't mind too much waiting 2 weeks, but if I have to wait 2 months then I think I'll look elsewhere.

As long as I buy it through work then I should be able to avoid paying GST no matter where I get it from, so that's an automatic 10% saving off any price. If I can get a similar price from somewhere that has stock then that's great.
It sounds like you did a fair bit of shopping around for your 1D3... if you have any other recommendations or advice then I'd love to hear it before I start phoning every single camera shop in perth and visiting every website on the net. Tongue

Thanks.... and it's good to see some familiar faces again! Smile
Hi Kombi,

I actually bought mime from Team Digital. There are only four shops in Perth who can get them. They are:

PRA
Team Digital
Gerry Gibbs Camera House
Plaza Digital

I think most shops have waiting lists of over 20 cameras believe it or not. PRA has a wait list of 10 for the new 1Ds3. So if you are second on the list at Team Digital I would get it there, everyone else will have a bigger delay. They are also the cheapest. Everyone else wants around $6000 or more including GST. I got mine from Team Digital for about 5670 something. Basically almost $400 cheaper than anyone else and they have the shortest waiting list.

I was third on the list and had to wait 6 weeks. If you get it in two weeks you are very fortunate. You can come around to my place on Monday (public holiday) if you want to try it out? I have a heap of new lenses you can have a play with as well while you are there. PM me if you are interested.

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks Chris,

Somebody at Team Digital told me that the supply/demand problem for the 1D3 had mostly been sorted out now. But it appears not...

I'm actually waiting on a call back from a manager at Gerry Gibbs at the moment. The salesperson I spoke to said they have stock available and they might be able to price-match Team Digital's price! I'll be very surprised if they do.... I've never found Gerry Gibbs to be particularly cheap when it comes to gear... but.. you never know. I'll listen to what they have to say.

Thanks for the offer for me to come over to your place to take your 1D3 for a spin - I'd love to! Big Grin
And it would be good to catch up again and see what's been going on. It sounds like things are really taking off for your photography business which is excellent!

I'm also selling some of my existing gear (my 30D body and 3 or 4 lenses) and using the proceeds on an EF 24-70 f/2.8L and upgrading my EF 70-200 f/4L to an EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS (plus probably a 2x TC).
I know you have the 24-70 f/2.8L, so I'd love to see how that goes on the 1D3 (particularly the focus speed and how wide it is at 24mm). And of course if you just happen to have a heap of other lenses lying around then I'd be happy to test them out for you. Can't have them collecting dust! Tongue

I'd also be interested to see how my Sigma 10-20mm goes on the 1D3. I remember it vignetting on your 5D, but the 1.3x crop factor of the 1D3 won't be so bad. It will still probably vignette a lot at 10mm, but I'm hoping it will be OK to use from about 12mm onwards. Even if its only usable from 15-20mm then it's probably worth me keeping as an ultra-wide-angle, as I'm happy with it's IQ and don't need a fast lens for ultra-wide.

I'll PM you. Cheers!