DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Fix your photo using someone elses!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't you just hate those times when your shot of a beautiful cathedral has been ruined by the presence of someone's head or an ugly truck in the background?

This is a pretty cool read - there's a 11mb pdf file in the link, which describes an algorithm to replace unwanted parts of an image with parts from other photos. Some researchers from Carnegie Mellon University have developed an algorithm that patches up areas in these images by searching for a replacement area in similar images in a large image database.

http://www.dcviews.com/press/Digital-manipulation.htm

Some nice examples there - well worth seeing...
That's HARD-CORE!!! wow
Great link
I read about that on the BBC newsite last week, I was wondering about copyright issues, although I guess if you've uploaded your images to Flickr and made them public you might not have a leg to stand on?
alastair_hm Wrote:...I was wondering about copyright issues, although I guess if you've uploaded your images to Flickr and made them public you might not have a leg to stand on?
Those of us who use Flickr retain all copyrights, or can choose whatever level of Creative Commons licensing we prefer. I imagine that this would fall under the latter.
I'm in the © camp, but I doubt if I would notice or feel I was harmed, or even be able to prove that a small section of sky/bushes/bricks from one of my photos was used by someone in this way.