DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Backup your files... now!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I cringe after reading this story regarding backups and data loss...

http://baratunde.com/blog/archives/2007/...twice.html

It's interesting to note that a Raid 0 configuration (writing data across two hard drives together to make 1 big one) actually increases your chances of data loss because if you lose even 1 disk out the two, then all your data is gone. The better alternative is to do Raid 1 mirroring (writing same data to 2 disks) albeit you sacrifice half your space for more reliability.

One of the comments after the article struck a chord with me:

Quote:You would have happily paid $10,000 to have your data restored, yet if someone had asked you if you would pay merely a few hundred dollars to get a SECOND external drive as a backup, you would have declined.
That is so true... *runs out to buy another external hard drive*

For me, I try to have more than 1 copy of my data at all times - i.e. first copy on my hard disk, 2nd copy backed up onto an external drive on the network. One thing I've been thinking about (but putting off) is to backup my data offsite - i.e. to an online backup service or to my web host; so that if something disastrous happened (i.e. a fire) that at least I'll have a copy safe somewhere.

Has anyone experienced data loss or something similar? How did you cope? Did the event change your habits with regards to backups?
Not yet, meaning zero data loss over three years.
I burn data CDs of my originals and edits every two weeks, and also drop everything to an external Maxtor drive for quick access and redundancy.

I think I would only feel better if I found a location to put a 2nd set of CDs, in case of a fire.
A trusted friend or family member's closet.

A member of our camera club had a computer meltdown and lost all of his photos, just in time to miss putting anything in our show last week.
Personally, I think he must be an idiot to not have backed-up anything in any way, when it's so easy and affordable these days.

Yes, I'll repeat that: If you don't back-up your photos, you're an idiot who deserves to lose everything.
There isn't a single reason that you can't find a solution(s) even on the tightest budget.
I'm not exactly making a good living these days, but I still manage to keep my pictures safe.