DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Portable HDD Error?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you do when the portable hard drive you're using fails halfway during a month long trip, and you've already been copying photos to it?

My parents are on a 4 week holiday to Canada and Alaska at the the moment, and I let them borrow my Nexto OTG hard disk drive, which has a built in CF card reader. Today I got an SMS that said "hard disk msg says No hard disk when try to copy". Doh!

*sigh* It's kinda hard when they're probably stuck somewhere on a cruise ship...
That sucks....

I've been lucky enough to always have a duplicate copy of my photos when traveling. This past trip I only shot about 20 gigs (1860 photos in raw) so I never needed to clear a card. My routine is quite strict: fill a card, copy to the portable HDD, and then the card goes away and is stored separately from the drive. I haven't had to endure any complete failure in either storage medium, but it has saved me from losing some pictures.

Prices in tourist towns and cruise ships are generally outrageous, but if the only option is to buy more cards, I wouldn't regret it too badly. On the other hand, I did once do a week-long alaskan cruise with only a handful of cards and an 8-megapixel camera. JPegs are still pretty good. Big Grin

I hope the rest of their trip went well.
I heard my dad a couple of days back - thankfully he says he didn't erase any pics off from the card yet.. Big Grin

By some stroke of luck/coincidence, my brother and I gave him an extra 4G memory card for fathers day, right before he went on the trip. He must be shooting jpgs - he said he racked up around 2500 shots so far... Big Grin
Thinking of getting the Nexto for my trip to China. Can you recommend it? Or any other type.