DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: panasonic FZ3 or FZ10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:/ I am undecided and need some advice. I am new to the digital camera world. I have been looking at the Panasonic FZ10 & FZ3 and cannot choose Sad I mostly take photos of motocross (the zoom will be great for that). Can anyone help?
Hi Peta, welcome to Shuttertalk! Going digital can be daunting, but many of us have travelled the road, and the rewards are well worth it. Feel free to ask for more tips, etc.

If you're just comparing those two, I would say that the FZ10 is way better. The FZ3 is newer, but the FZ10 seems to have the upper hand on specs:
- 4MP vs 3MP
- 1/2.5" sensor vs 1/3.2" (larger sensor = less noise)
- Fixed F2.8 aperture, vs F2.8-8.0 (more light at longer zoom lengths)
- External Flash Hot shoe
- 2.0 inch LCD vs 1.5 inch

I haven't used either, although there are a couple of FZ10 users who hang out here, who can give their 2c worth Smile

Jules
I LOVE MY FZ10!!

I can't say much about the 3, since I haven't used it, but from the specs that ST just posted, it seems like a no-brainer.

You might want to consider waiting for the FZ20... the news release is around here somewhere I think... ah, here: http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=301
I really like my FZ10 too.
The only other digital I've used is a Canon A60, so I can't really compare it to anything either.
The FZ3 might be a good choice if size is an issue, but otherwise I'd say go for the FZ10 or 20.
Ooh look a Perth person who shoots Motocross, wonder if its someone I know Smile

Hi Peta, I have no idea on the cameras mentioned so I'll stay out of it.
Both cameras do good job depending on how much you want to spend,
Hi aussieblue... I just checked out your forum... very Lumix-friendly! Big Grin

I might have to start spending some time there - us Lumix folks are so mis-understood by the rest of the world...

Hopefully ST won't be too jealous...!Wink
LOL we lumix people are passionate thats for sure... Big Grin
On serious note I have checked out digital SLR cameras with some thought to going that way and after all the looking I can't really see the sense because to match the zoom the FZ10 has one would have to spend a tremendous amount of money and carry so much gear there would be no fun in photography
The FZ10 is a fun camera that gives incredible results!
I have seen FZ3 photographs and they are very very good as well
For a compact camera that isn't going to make huge prints they look like very nice cameras, the Leica glass is supposed to be very nice and the image stabiliser in the FZ3 works well too, be a nice compact to carry around.
Panasonic FZ20 advertised for $1000 at camerastore.com.au
and $887.04 at centre.net.au
centre.net.au

but would you buy your camera online?
$839 at camera888 in Australia Smile
I bought the FZ3 from Camerastore.com.au for $610 + freight. Great camera, gives very good results but I really want the FZ20 so have ordered from camera888.com.au for $839 + freight. Sold the FZ3 to my friend who was so impressed with it he was going to buy one but they were out of stock. Hope to get the FZ20 in about a week. One of our members (Tru Blue Forum) has got the first FZ20 that I have heard of being sold.
Great buy Boatin4 and welcome to Shuittertalk! Panasonic has really scored with their alliance with Leica. Leica makes great lenses but overpriced - Panasonic solves that!

Our lot is to always want to upgrade - that is what toys are all about.
Hey

Thanks to all for the info most appreciated Smile

I am going to go for the FZ20

I was a bit unsure of these cameras because of the low price i thought there surely must be some flaw with them. My thoughts were that with this camera you will get the same performance as with an slr but for a fraction of the price...there must be a catch. :/

Boatin4 how do you like your FZ20?
I don't think a compact digicam can replace a digital SLR -- images may be similar, but workflow, feel and capability is different. It's a choice though - a DSLR isn't for everyone.

Good luck with your purchase, Peta! The 12x zoom, image stabilisation, hotshoe, large lcd screen and 5 megapixel sensor should do you well. Do let us know how your camera turns out. Smile

Charles

TrevorB Wrote:I really like my FZ10 too.
The only other digital I've used is a Canon A60, so I can't really compare it to anything either.
The FZ3 might be a good choice if size is an issue, but otherwise I'd say go for the FZ10 or 20.

Hi. I have an A60 as well. Want to upgrade to the FZ20. I'm a bit concerned about the noise though... Will the FZ20 produce more noise in a night time shot of 8" at ISO200, compared to the A60 at 15" at ISO100? I have heard a lot of hype about the FZ20's noise! Any help or comments would be appreciated!
Hey Charles, welcome to Shuttertalk!

I'm not too familiar with the Panny cameras, although if you're comparing between same model cameras - a higher ISO will produce more signal noise.

I know with the Fuji S5000, the camera's lowest setting is ISO200 and the noise is pretty terrible, although that could be because of the JPEG compression. Other cameras such as the D70 too have limitation, but they have "mastered" noise to the point where lower ISOs are not needed.

So I guess the question is how well the FZ20 handles the higher ISO sensitivities...