DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Color or BW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I played with this picture and I have two versions. I like both, but I don't really know which one you think suits best to this subject.

[Image: IMG_8650-Edit.jpg]

[Image: 48_IMG_8650-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much for your advice.. Smile
These are two very different photos, so I suppose it depends on the way you're interpreting the subject and what the subject is.

The colour photo has more separation between the building and the background, and I also enjoy the palette of different reds. It shows these houses as part of the local environment, and that this place is different from the greens of the trees and the modern buildings that they (mostly) conceal. The people, cars, and bicycles makes me think that I'm looking at a scene that's been preserved past its time, and the writing on the windows makes me suspect that this is the centerpiece of a tourist villa.

The monochrome image separates the main house from those behind it, and makes it feel unique and isolated, which is exaggerated by the lack of matching architectural details in the houses lining the street. The lack of colour also hides the more modern construction in the hills, which reduces the feeling that this whole-but-small area is unique.

Personally, I prefer the colour version with its feeling that this is a quaint area boldly championed by this intricate building. The stark contrasts of the white windows and black timbers in the B&W version emphasizes the asymmetrical lines of the building, and makes it seem more like an oddity. But, having decided that I like the colour one better, I may be unfairly interpreting the monochrome photo.
Your consideration to many aspects of the pictures as you did, has been very useful and it will help me to pay more attention to all those detail you mentioned.

Great comment Matt, thanks a lot.... Smile
The colour one by a 'country mile' Smile
Thanks Chris... Smile

It is amazing how the colors of the bricks change in a rainy day. I have seen pictures of the same house in a sunny day and it doesn't stand out as it is in this one...

BTW... Thanks for your comment about the 24mm TS.. Just a silly question... Do I have to use tripod for all my pictures taken with this lens?
Irma Wrote:Do I have to use tripod for all my pictures taken with this lens?
No - but it is manual focus and when you move that lens it is easier on a tripod to really get the effect where you want it.
I see why it is the need of the tripod.

Thanks Chris.
I much prefer the color, too.
one thing is bugging me, the edge between tree tops and sky is too heavy, I guess you worked on the sky and it affected some of the trees?

Uli
Hey Irma,

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I prefer the b/w version.

But.... I also think the b/w version could benefit from some higher contrast selectively in the mid-tones to really bring out the detail in the buildings and the road. I think you could make full use of the dynamic range to show all the detail and textures. I like the sky as it is though.
You might want to use a tone curve with a layer mask, or you might be able to achieve some of the effect with a different b/w conversion (ie using a channel mixer layer and not including as much red in the mix).
If you tried this with the colour version I suspect it would muck the colours up a lot, but I find I can get away with being more heavy-handed with contrast when working in b/w... and I think this is one photo that could really benefit from that.

But that's just my opinion. It is a lovely shot as it is and looks like a beautiful part of the world, and I do like the colour version as well.
Welcome back Adrian!
Yes Uli, I masked the sky and I tried not to touch the trees... I will try to smooth the edge in my next try... Smile

Thanks for your comment!!

Hallo Kombi!
How nice to see you around.... Smile

Thanks so much for your comment... I worked just now, a pseudo HDR with photomatix 2.5 from one RAW and stored it in LR. I blown out the sky terrible to get some contrast, but I really don't mind as you can always replace it. I tried with the Grayscale what you said with the reds and I understood the idea. I think it looks good... I will try now to do it in PS with the BW adjustment layer and another version with channel mixer.... I'll post it later.
Just now when I saw it in this size I realized I have a bit of halo in the roof in the right side, but this is something I can repair... Anyway, here is my try. I like it, it has great contrast... and somehow a sinister look... Smile

I worked my conversion with channel mixer.

[Image: IMG_8650-Edit-2-Edit-Edit.jpg]
Very nice Irma.
yeah! Love it Irma! Big Grin

It does have a sinister look to it which really adds character (although it might be a completely different character to the actual scene!).
I'm just waiting for a bolt of lightning to appear from that sky... followed by Frankenstein's monster to hobble along the street beign chased by a mob of locals with torches and pitchforks. Big Grin
Thanks so much, Chris, Adrian..

I learned a lot with this picture Smile
I too prefer the second B&W over the first. It's now standing on its own with its own distinct interpretation, rather that being a monochrome version of the colour image.

(Hi, Kombi! Good call.)
I like the original B&W. It has a timeless quality...
I'm not quite sure... There is something to the second version, definitely.
But could you crop the very heavy clouds from the top?

After all, I might think the first, color pictures does best represent the scene Smile

Uli
Thanks so much for your comments... Smile

This last treatment changed the mood of the place, indeed.