DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Cold-weather photography.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In January I'll be heading to the US again, specifically NYC and Seattle.

Anyway, the temperature will most likely be near or below my camera's minimum operating temperature. I don't want to miss out on photo opportunities, neither do I want to risk damage to my precious camera.

So, what can I do?
The only thing I can think of is to hold it close to your body.
That's what my friend told me that they did in Harbin.
I've only done a little shooting in the snow in Tasmanian highlands, certainly not much compared to our northern hemisphere friends who I'm sure could give better advice. But I would imagine the three biggest potential problems shooting in very cold would be condensation, short battery life, and operating your camera with gloves on.

Condensation may occur during sudden temperature changes (ie moving from outdoors to indoors). I've heard of tricks involving sealing your camera in a plastic bag but other than that, I don't know how you might avoid it. At least it is just a temporary effect until your gear adjusts to change in temperature.

Shortened battery life can be overcome by taking an extra battery or two and/or keeping it warm in your pocket instead of in your camera bag. I never noticed a big drop in battery life in my own limited experiences, but It's not like I've spent weeks out in the cold in Antartica! Tongue

I did find operating a camera with gloves on to be a bit of a challenge however. But with a bit of preparation (maybe some thin gloves) and some practice I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Can't wait to see the photos.
However many photos there'll be. Only spending a weekend in NYC, and that will be for meeting future in-laws, and we'll have a week in Seattle doing wedding prep stuff.

My photographic goals for the trip so far are your standard cliche cityscapes of Manhattan at both day and night, a few of the Statue of Liberty, and some architectural shots from within NYC, as well as some photos of Mt. St Helens and Mt Rainier in Seattle. I might also see if i can beg/con/coerce my fiancee into posing for a few portraits too.
The biggest problem that I have with using my camera in the cold is the battery dying. I've never found it practical to keep my camera under my jacket, so I carry a spare battery in an inside pocket instead. When the camera dies, I switch to the warm battery, and tuck the cold one back inside my jacket. By the time the new battery dies, the cold one should have warmed up enough for another turn. You still won't get the same life out of them, but I've working in -20 (Celsius) without any real problems.

Gloves are very important. I use a pair of light windproof gloves with a grippy rubber on the palm and fingers. I love that particular style, and own three pairs. I wore the fingers off of one after a couple of winters, forgot a pair in my brother's truck while we were in Nebraska a month ago, and bought my third pair so that I would be without them until I see him again. You may also be able to use a warmer glove on your left hand when holding the camera. If it's really cold, having a larger pair of ski gloves or mittens (I'm not vain) is also useful for between shoots.
Thanks... it won't be That cold will it.....?

*edit

Did some research. According to Wikipedia the average temp for NYC in January is between -4° and 3°C, and Seattle is similar however slightly warmer.
Just a quick note on condensation. I have been caught shooting outside when it began to rain and got caught in the weather. The lense did get condensation inside, which quickly put a stop to the shooting. I thought I would be in trouble, but after letting the body and lense sit in a warm room for an extended time the condensation disappeared and no significant water damage occurred to anything.

Also, if you are in the weather and don't want any falling snow or rain to get on your camera I know there are hoods that fit on the end of a lense and cover the lense, camera body, and your head. I haven't priced them, or used them, nor do I know where to get them. But I've seen them and I know they exist.

Hope this helps,

D.J.
"Cold" is a matter of perspective, but for the NYC temperatures, I'd want gloves. But then my only winter experience is with a metal-bodied camera that's a lot tougher than I am (not saying much) so your experience may be different.

You're at the bottom end of most camera's suggested temperature ranges, so your batteries may not be too badly affected, but you never know.
I've also noticed a drop in battery performance in the cold--like 1/2 the number of photos before they die.
And it doesn't get very cold here.

I use the gloves that leave your fingertips exposed, and will often mix pairs so my left hand has full coverage while my right has free tips for pressing buttons.

It's so wet in Seattle that the condensation will be your big enemy.
I use Zeiss pre-moistened lens cloths, and the high-grade alcohol in them displaces water nicely so when your lens reaches ambient temp (and therefore new condensation isn't going to happen) they are a great way to get your glass clean and clear and dry.
I've shot both digital and film photos at -15F (-9C) with no problem. If the camera is out for a long time in sub-zero weather, say over an hour, there might be a problem but in cold weather I'm usually shooting from a vehicle, not walking. I just retreat to the vehicle for a few minutes when I get too cold. If I am walking I wear a loose coat and keep the camera inside the coat until I find something I want to shoot. I'll second gloves, good windproof ones. Keeping your fingers warm may be more of a problem than the camera. NYC rarely gets as cold as here by the Quebec border. You probably won't have a big problem anyway.
I am still not used to cold weather... Going out shooting in winter is very hard to me... specially because I am not used to walk in the snow or slippery ground. I broke my camera because I fell down in the snow...

So, now I use my boots with deep profile, and don't walk much about with my camera out of the bag. I have a plastic grip with a strip on the tripod, carrying my tripod holding it from the metal parts freeze my hands, no matter if I have warm gloves on.

When I take pictures and it is snowing I also hide my camera under my coat.

About condensation, we normally have it even if it is not winter when we go the the butterfly garden. It is just matter of waiting few minutes for the camera to be ready.

I wish you great time in your holidays... Smile
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and take pictures all winter. The camera works just fine. The minimum operating temperature of most cameras is well below an average New York City winter.
Perhaps an underwater housing could help, to be honest?
Also, in sports stores and the like, one can get those little chemical handwarmer bags/pouches that when you grip 'em tightly it causes the chemicals to mix and heat up. Oh..and keep a spare battery in your trouser pocket.
I was out today for about two hours in 3-7 degree © weather, and had no problems with the cameras' operation at all. However, I was very happy to have light gloves. (Very light gloves: Mine are thin and grippy enough that I was able to re-tie my shoelaces without taking them off.)
350D never had any problems whatsoever in any NYC weather. Never noticed shorter battery life or anything like that.
Toronto was way colder and it still performed fine.

lensecap against condensation, sealed plasticbag also seems to make a lot of sense to me.
Probably the stupidest thing I did was to walk into a tropical greenhouse in the bronx botanical garden from way below zero outside temperatures.....:o try to avoid that..... Smile Smile Smile

uli
I found this site today about this matter. I think they are talking about very extreem cold weather. Anyway... I think he has very good points in this writing... Smile

http://www.my-photo-blog.com/winter-phot...great-tips
Irma, thanks for the link, there are some great tips there. It hasn't gotten that cold here yet, but the advice of wearing a scarf to keep breath from condensing on the camera and taking cards out before the camera comes inside are two things that I would never have thought of.

One o my biggest concern with cold-weather urban photography is not slipping on the ice that people don't clear from the sidewalks. A broken leg can heal, but cameras don't! Big Grin
Thanks for that, Irma, that's awesome.
I really think you guys are worried about nothing. My Kodak works perfectly normally in the cold. I am often in the cold (-20 -30 celsius) for hours at a time taking photos.
that's good to hear, Don. Although I'm sure you can understand me not wanting to take ANY risks with an SLR I can't afford to replace!
I agree but I can't imagine the cold ruining your camera. Millions take pictures in cold climates every day.