DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Faststone users, asking for advice:
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My computer (laptop) is getting older and older, and it's C partition is getting clogged up with all kinds of stuff. I try to keep it clean but there are often things I don't know so I hesitate to delete them....

My internal HD has four partition, C being the main and holding the OS etc.

Faststone Viewer however is intstalled on a Program folder in the D partition

Going through the main (C:) partition I found a Faststone Folder in

C/ Dokuments and Settings/ Administrator/ Applications

It contains a file named FSViewer.db

This file is 1.2 GB large! Does anybody know what it does? Can I possibly move it to another partition and will my Faststone still function? (I don't want to TRY that without asking beforehand)

Any advice you have will be very very welcome,

Thanks, Uli
The dot DB extension indicates a database. I have FastStone on my desktop and its database is in a similar location (running MS Vista). I cannot find any setting in FastStone to point it to a different location for the database. The database is all the thumbnails and other data on the files imported to your browser so moving it would mean you would have no files available to view. I notice that there is provision under Settings>Thumbnail Database Manager to optimize the database. I suspect this compresses the files to save disk space. Have you tried that?
Personally I find those programs very intrusive. I would say uninstall it and put it back on the drive you selected.
Thank you Jim for your advise. I haven't tried optimizing the database, but now the fact that this file is a database explains why it is growing in size.

I guess that's one of the problems with free ware, sometimes programs don't have enought functions to customize them. Otherwise I am very happy with Faststone though, so I am far from binning it!

Uli
sorr it is me again. I see there is an option to empty the database, I guess that would mean that for every folder I access Faststone has to load all the thumpnails again?
Actually, if it is just that, it wouldn't hurt toooooo much, and in return I would gain lots of free HD space.

What about settings in Faststone, would they be lost too?

(*ruminating* should I just try.....?)

Uli
"What about settings in Faststone, would they be lost too?"

I don't know. I have FastStone on my PC but use it only occasionally. I primarily use Lightroom.

ADK Jim
I did it. didn't hurt, helped a LOT / to be precise, 1.5 GB..... thanks again for your advice, really helpful!

Uli