DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Question about crop in PS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I normally crop my pictures in lightroom, but sometimes I have to refine my crop in PS.

I use the crop tool set to let's say 4 X 6 300 resolution and when I crop my file seems to get smaller ... I mean, as if I had lost information?

Open file is 36.4m I just pass the crop tool without chopping off anything of the picture and it turns into a 6.18 m file!!

Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't understand this. The thing is that I can't set the format I want to crop without giving resolution...
Irma - I am no expert in these matters but... I use photoshop cs2 to crop. I enter the dimension (4 x 6 for example) but I leave the resolution (DPI) blank. I believe doing it this way will keep the orginal resolution and prevent any loss of information (other that what you have cropped)...
You are right!
I can crop with a specific format without the resolution...

I was so sure I coundn't do it like this...

Thanks a lot Shane for your help here!! Smile
I have to enter either inches, cms or pixels along with a number into the width and height boxes but the same method works for me, leaving the remaining information unmodified in the case of prints.
Example: Width: {10 in} Height: {8 in}
(PS 7.0)
Then that was the thing Keith. I didn't say in or cms.

Thanks for your comment... Smile