DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: words and messages in a picture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With my picture I worked for the Still life assignment wanted to make a nice post processing. I did one I liked a lot!!

Here you have....

[Image: IMG_9195_0_1_2_4_tonemapped-Edit.jpg]

Then I had the idea of writing some words, give a message... I have seen so many posters with letters... sometimes the same word in different languages... Anyway, it took me more than one hour to decide my message here... can you belive that?? One hour to write "cebolla" onion in English... Sad

Have you worked with pictures like this, writing messages or words? Do you have any suggestion how to start, or how to get inspiration what to write and how to write it to look nice?

Here is my "Cebolla" version.... Rolleyes

[Image: IMG_9195_0_1_2_4_tonemapped-Edit-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much for your advice... Smile
The writing layer has to be thinner/transluscent to blend with the curtains.
I keep forgetting the PS word for it. :|
You are right NT... Maybe if I reduce the opacity and blend it... maybe even blur a bit!!

I'll try again... Thanks... Smile
Because it is on the curtain, it may be better to do each letter separately and darken or lighten to match the light on the curtain.
That is if you want the writing to appear as though it is printed on the curtain.
If it is just meant to be floating writing (like a signboard) then just changing the opacity should do it.

I am english and I keep having to look up words like separately to check the e's and a's. LOL
You are doing fine Irma. 'Hola'
I actually think it looks fine like that.
A quickie.
three layers ( c) (eb) (olla) and background
Opacity different for each layer.[Image: 1_IMG_9195_0_1_2_4_tonemapped-Edit.jpg]
Rabid Penguin Wrote:I actually think it looks fine like that.
I agree but it depends on the effect that is required. Mine is just another route.Smile
I love the little pots that they have in the Irma & G household.
Thanks RP for your comment... Smile

The thing is that I wanted more like blending, be more part of the picture...

NT I like what you did, it is like following the light and shadows of the curtain.. Thanks a lot, with your try I got the idea. Smile

The pot was a gift we recived time ago. I had it as a decoration in the dining, but G asked me just few days ago that he wanted to have it in the kitchen and store the onions there... It has some hole in the back part for the onions to breath, so I placed it near the window for them to have fresh air till they go to the pan... Big Grin
Oh, fair enough, Irma. I see what you're going for. Possibly try different blending modes?
The light is coming in from the right, so maybe dodge the right side of the groups of letters, for a more realistic look.
:/
Perhaps in addition to changing the blending modes, something can be added to the text to give it an impression of depth? I know drop shadows are overused, but they're effective for a reason.
Thanks so much for you advice NT, Matt...
I didn't think about dropping a shadow!!
I'll retake this one again a little later or tomorrow...

Thanks again... Smile
another effect is to bend the letters as if they were printed on the cuirtain. If you still have it saved in photoshop layers try looking up "displacement maps". It should show you how to do it.
Hi essaljay.... very nice to see you around... Smile

Right you are displacement maps might be the right thing to do....

I did once a tutorial with this effect and it was so difficult, it was about nature textures, kind of stucco.... I looked again just now and I got a nice one and they are doing something similar to what I want to do btw... Smile

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/d...ispmap.htm

Thanks a lot for the advice...

Still it looks very difficult, but it might be worth the try.... Wink
I worked with the tutorial and here is the result... I see it much better. The only problem is that at the beginning you have the color you want in your letters but as you will blend the layer the color change... So the best is to make a test with different colors in the letters to have in the final result the color you want...

[Image: 25_IMG_9195_0_1_2_4_tonemapped-Edit-Edit.jpg]

At the end I dodged and burned too as NT suggested and dropped an inner shadow as Matt also advice... Smile

Thanks so much to you all for your advice and support... Smile
Irma, that's looking much better. It sounds like a long, slow process.