DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Need advice... looking for a backpack to carry my gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all!

I'm new to the site, but I've been interested in photography and dibble-dabbled for many years. I'm finally at that point in life when I can afford camera gear, AND I can still afford to travel. So now I'm looking for a backpack to keep my *new* gear safe while slinging it around on my back all over the world. I've already invested in Crumpler's 6 Million Dollar Home, and I love it (and I'll still keep it for "photo shoots" close to home). However, I would like to get a backpack to make traveling a bit easier. This is what I'm looking for in a backpack:

1. Needs to be able to carry on an airplane
2. Two straps! - no sling bag for me
3. Side access would be great so I won't have to take the bag off to access the camera and/or lenses
4. Able to keep the elements out - either a raincover or weather-proofed/water-proofed
5. Lightweight
5.5: I like pockets! This really isn't the deciding factor for me... but I can always use 'em!
**It doesn't need to hold a laptop or a tripod, but I'm not opposed to these types of bags either.

Ideally, I'm willing to spend around $100 although I can justify spending more if I need to.

This is what I'll need to carry inside the bag:
Canon 400D with 28-135mm lens
70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS lens
10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 lens
50mm f/1.8
Canon SD850
Accessories: battery chargers, extra memory cards, extra batteries
A book
2-3 small prescription bottles (stay away, malaria)
Sunglasses
Tiny flashlight
My travel documents
A few snacks and other little things

I have recently been looking at the Lowepro FastPacks (200, 250, 350), but I've had a hard time finding any reviews of them. I'm also not sure how "water-resistant" they are. I've looked at a few Kata bags as well.

So what suggestions do you have?? I am willing to consider any!!

Thanks for your help!!
Cargo pants Big Grin
I have a Lowepro micro 100 backpack and I am sure it would hold all you require. It does not have a side loading facility, but all details are on Lowepro's site. It has two tiny side pockets , and one large front zip pocket infront of the main compartment. This has two long (moveable by velcro) padded bits and 4 shorter bits.
This gives you effectively three long vertical compartments with dividers..
http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpack...r_100.aspx
But there is also the 200 a little larger (more snacks Tongue )
Try 'home page' on the site as it said something about new toploading bags.

I have only had mine out in heavy showers with no adverse effects, but you could get a elasticated waterproof cover very cheaply if you were worried. The waterproof covers that come with the bags (pullout of a pocket type) are only made from ripstop nylon (Aagh dare I say it Kite fabric) Which is strengthened nylon with a pvc coating. ( rather like modern tent material)
Hi, and welcome to shuttertalk.

It sounds like a lowepro microtrekker might be what you're looking for. A number of people here use them, and they came up quite a lot in a "What bag does everyone use?" thread. Irma's photo on page 2 will give you a good idea of what can fit in it, and I put a photo of the configuration that I use on page 3. What doesn't show in these photos is the size of the external pocket on the front of the backpack, which can hold quite a lot of extra stuff like flashlights, sunglasses, and so on.

The standard bag is reasonably water-resistant, but there's also an AW version that has a rain cover. I've used mine as a carry-on on a US domestic flight with no problem.
Ice, Ice Baby (to go):

Please see my review of the Kata R-102 on this site:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katar102

It will do what you want, and the bags are *very* waterproof. The R-103 is the same as the R-102 except that it also has a compartment for a laptop. Need to know anything else - just ask.
Late to the cause but I would have to second the R102/3, I love mine, it carries a ton of gear yet feels light when worn. Mine is paired with the T214 torso pack and with that I can haul all my gear and still carry 2 suitcases!
I've only used crumpler bags - I've got the sinking barge (see my review on this site), and also the Karachi Outpost, but I think the latter is a bit of overkill for the amount of gear you have.

I generally find them well made, very well padded and protected, but very bulky at the same time due to the said padding.

Do check out the Kata gear - a few people here seem to be pretty happy with them.

Welcome, by the way!
Kata, Crumplers, LowePro...though I feel the latter says "steal me" a tad more readily and I imagine(oddly) that they'll come free with a matching pair of 50/50 polyester trousers.
I think I got a Tamrac for me new kit: the only deciding factor was size: could it take the body with my longest lens on? I'd no qualms about taking my kit into the shop and jamming it inside the prospective new home just to see, to be honest. Ended up with something that looks like it could take three large bacon and mushroom baguettes complete with a jar of salsa dip at the zip end.
Actually, that would be cool, turning up at a shoot and pulling me dinner out me kitbag, saying, "what camera?".
Tongue
Sorry, had a late nighter watching that guy getting to be president.