DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Buying 2nd Hand Lenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do you recommend buying 2nd hand lenses? How does one check whether the lens is in good nick, apart from looking for scratches on the exterior?
If you can - take a few shots with it and examine them at 100% crop to check for imperfections - also make sure that an older lens is totally compatible with your current metering and focusing systems.
Check the screws in the rear, if they appear to have been opened before, then you could probably get it for a lot cheaper, because it's been serviced. This is what I hear from someone, I don't know how true it is, and if I got it the right way around.
How about checking for fungus and stuff like that? And how do you tell if the coating has come off?
daccording to the Kodak people .. take the lens and hold it so the light is shining just above your eye, and you should be able to see any specs on the elements..
All my lenses are used. I bought a 35-105mm that has a small nick in the glass. At first I wanted nothing to do with it. Then my freind that works in London drugs took a magnafying glass and set a pen on top of it. The shadow of the pen was not visible on the counter top. The pen was to close to the focal point to be seen. So, I have no problem buying second hand lenses. Scratch free is always nice as we always want the best quality for our dollar, but when funds are low and you need a lens, wth.