DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Top photographers condemn digital age
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Great article, thanks Roo Smile
Headline: Carriage Drivers Condemn Age of the Automobile!

As the market for buggy whips declines faster than previously estimated, the nation's carriage drivers criticised the trend, describing Henry Ford's mass-produced automobile as "a transportation device suitable for only amateurs and rich folk."

"They don't understand the art of carriage driving," argued one driver. "One must have a relationship with the horses, know the twists and turns of the road. I mean, we've got solid wooden wheels here - we really need to know what we're doing. Those upstarts with their newfangled automobiles have rubber tires, for Pete's sake! They just zoom over potholes like they're not even there - where is the skill in that?"

Rolleyes
Genius.
slejhamer Wrote:Headline: Carriage Drivers Condemn Age of the Automobile!

As the market for buggy whips declines faster than previously estimated, the nation's carriage drivers criticised the trend, describing Henry Ford's mass-produced automobile as "a transportation device suitable for only amateurs and rich folk."

"They don't understand the art of carriage driving," argued one driver. "One must have a relationship with the horses, know the twists and turns of the road. I mean, we've got solid wooden wheels here - we really need to know what we're doing. Those upstarts with their newfangled automobiles have rubber tires, for Pete's sake! They just zoom over potholes like they're not even there - where is the skill in that?"

Rolleyes

ROFL nice one, slej Big Grin

I bought my first brand new car in 1971, a brand new Mini Clubman. My father was very concerned it didn't have a starting handle Smile

Digital kit is still very expensive AND those who use it need to be able to use a 'digital darkroom' so it doesn't surprise me some of the 'old dinosaurs' are slow to embrace new technology. I think it'll be a slow transition and film still has some life left in it as yet.

Polly
Yawn! Even as a user of film, I find these "end of an era" thoughts by traditional photographers tedious. It is a pure technology backlash - as if cameras and darkrooms themselves are not technology but are natural occurences.

Yes, film gives lovely results, but it is hugely more tedious and unforgiving than using digital - and nobody anywhere says that you can't use both mediums as appropriate. That is what I do. I suspect Lord Snowdon and other traditionalists are concerned about being left behind - they hate the idea of relative amateurs being able to get great results by using software.
Interesting read, that article. Digital photography's greatest selling point is its accessibility. And something that empowers people to take great photos anytime, anywhere and see the results instantly at minimal cost has to be a good thing for photography. The cheap cost also allows people to learn at a much faster rate than previously possible using film cameras. It's ALL good people!!! Big Grin