DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: One more thing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I purchased the Nikon SB600 Speedlight to complete my kit.
Good man Don!

Opens up a whole new world. :-)

Have fun!
Thanks Paul. I think you are right.
Top man!
(Does it have the coverage to be used with the 10-20mm?)
It has a diffuser. I tried with one photo (in my house) and it semed to cover well.
Good addition, but there's one problem with your first post -- you describe it as completing your kit. There's no such thing now that you're using an SLR. Big Grin
hee hee. I've run out of spare money. That's a cap.
The SB600 is a great flash and supports commander mode (Nikon's off camera remote flash). I use my SB800 is commander mode almost all of the time - gives so much more natural light than the normal straight-on flash..
How do you do that? Can you just use the flash without any more gagets? (I noticed the flash comes with a tripod attachment).
It is done solely between the flash (SB600 or SB800) and a Nikon DSLR body without any additional attachments. The camera automatically adjusts the light generated by the flash (or multiple flashes) for a perfect exposure every time. I very rarely use the flash on the camera now.

[edit] Hmmm. Commander mode may not be supported by the D40 and D50 now that I think about it. That would be really too bad. Best read your manual.
Here is an article from your good buddy Ken Rockwell on commander mode.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm
I don't think the D40 supports commander flash. There are no differential flash controls that I could find.