DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: A quickie question - lost a component of fast release plaplatform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I lost a part that keeps the screw in the quick release platform of my tripod. When I take the camera off my tripod, the screw falls out from my platform. I am afraid that I will go on some trip to find myself without the use of a tripod, if I loose the screw. I am thinking of buying a new platform. I saw platforms dedicated to D300 and platform/bracket combinations - should I get those or just a Manfrotto generic platform? Can you buy spare parts for the platform, or do I have to buy the whole platfrom? Thanks for advice. Pavel
If it is a Manfrotto then you would have to enquire from them. An e-mail should do it. They seem to have a lot of little bits on the website.
» A quickie question - lost a component of fast release plaplatform
Duck billed plaplatform? Big Grin
Thank you NTNTNT for the adddwise.:mad:
I would think that a c-clip from home depot/hardware would do the trick. It might be worth a trip down the isle. Big Grin

Replacement Manfrotto platforms like the RC2 usually aren't that expensive. The other dedicated plates - Arca Swiss and friends - can be very expensive, especially when you get the new ball head that goes with it. It seems like there are plenty of people using them who post to photo forums, but I can't say I've ever actually seen one in use.
I followed NTs advice and checked out Manfrotto website. It seems that my plate is PL 200-14. I did not know what it was I lost. It is called a c-clip? Thanks Matthew, I will check it out. I like inexpensive solutions and there is nothing wrong with my plate or tripod otherwise, except it is a bit big.

I noticed that Manfrotto sells a smaller one that they do recommend for my camera- lens combination (D300 w 18-200).715SHB. Is is small, yet supposedly sturdy enough. It would be a nice thing to have if you fly and on all day walks. It is a 4 piece, rather than 3 peice and it does not extend quite as much (122cm without center column elevation), but for landscape, it may be OK in many circumstances I think. Pavel
[Image: 334584636_5tGKk-M.jpg]

It definitely sounds like you're missing the c-shaped clip; I don't know if that's the correct name, but the hardware store people might know what you mean. There's nothing inherently exotic about a tripod mount, it's a standard 1/4-20 (1/4" diameter, 20 threads per inch) bolt. On the other hand, if it doesn't work, it shouldn't be a major cost. Henry's sells the plates for $20.

I wouldn't put a D300 on the 715SHB. I see that it's rated for "2.68" pounds, which is short for 'not very much'. I'd suggest a Manfrotto 190 for a short light tripod, which has a 5 kilo rating, and comes in a bunch of different flavours depending on the price/weight ratio you're comfortable with. I still wouldn't suggest long lenses on it, but it should be good for general use.
I used to work for an engineers merchants. E-clips is what they are called ( a type of circlip) and should cost no more then 50p sterling. You will need the diameter of the bit it fits on to or take it with you. I am sure you have engineers stores or hardware merchants in toronto.
Best wissshes NTNTNT Big Grin
p.s Even a wholesale outlet would probably sell or give you one.
[Image: 75_Untitled-1.jpg]
Thanks Matthew, NTNTNT
Cool

Pavel
Thank you guys, you are fabulous. Pavel
A quick lesson in bracketing.
(Thank you guys, you are fabulous.) Pavel
Thank you guys, (you are fabulous. Pavel)

I like the first version myself. Big Grin
Hmmmm TNT T[NT], I just wonder which of the two is overexposure. We should ask blowup. Pavel
Sorry - duplicated above message by accident (Not a peep from you NT!!!!!) Pavel
Damn.
I was going to bail Pavel out with my hardware store knowledge but everyone else beat me to it while I was working this weekend.

E-Clip, C-Clip, doesn't matter what you call it.
Just take your 1/4-20 screw to the store and tell the dude you need one that'll fit this.
They'll be in thin drawers, inside little plastic bags.

How did you lose yours?
I removed the plate from my camera, held on to the plate, something fell off. I found the screw, but it did not stay in, looked for any other part among the leaves, twigs and needles but found nothing, wondered what is it that I lost and how much is it going to cost me... I already lost my $15 shutter release that attaches to the cable for my old GPS and the other $15 shutter release cable ceased to function after a week of use... Some bargains from China are not such great bargains. The $ 25 replacement wireless shutter release (also bought in China) works, but the cover from the battery compartment must have fallen off during Canada day Fireworks shoot and I did not notice. I went back to the spot, but did not find the lid. I found another use for a black electricians tape...For some bizare reason, Vistek and Henry's stock only the Nikon $95 shutter release cable. It offends me to pay that much for a contact switch.
Be careful or you may lose your marbles next. Big Grin
TNT, I have managed for so many years without them, I am no longer missing them. Pavel