DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Assistance needed with competition - please help me choose!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is "member only" competition (anybody wishing to become member, please contact me). The title is "Nature's Art". It calls for something nature has created" and lists examples ranging from snowstorm to bugs. The photos are in the size and resolution required. There must be no postprocessing and photos must be as taken. I am thinking of submitting one of the ones below - your advice please. I have no experience in competitions. Pavel

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8084.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8090.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8095.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8129.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8140.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8145.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand__DSC8147.jpg]

[Image: Compet-cand_DSC8078.jpg]
As this is the way you have to present them and there is no chance for post processing, I would choose the first one.

It has good light and composition. I like very much the texture in the water.
I like it too Irma - I just wander whether that is nature's art. I feel that that photo, to a significant degree just copies nature. I wonder whethe one of the closer cropped images would not work better as "art". The photo will be selected by the site's "contest committee". My guess that these will be a committee of members that have the highest score, although I dot think that the score always reflects talent or skill levels on that site all that well. Pavel
Hi, Pavel! If I had to make a choice, I would agree with Irma that No.1 is the best of the bunch. The inclusion of the rocks with their contrasting shade and texture, give a much needed perspective to the image. Otherwise you have superbly photographed strands of candy floss. Well, you know my feelings about that. Go with No.1.

Still, hopefully, your friend.....Dennis
Thanks Dennis. I have the other kind as well. I will post them for comparison. Pavel
Dreamingpixels Wrote:I like it too Irma - I just wander whether that is nature's art. I feel that that photo, to a significant degree just copies nature. I wonder whethe one of the closer cropped images would not work better as "art". The photo will be selected by the site's "contest committee". My guess that these will be a committee of members that have the highest score, although I dot think that the score always reflects talent or skill levels on that site all that well. Pavel
As you talk about Nature's art, my first pick was #3 but I found it a bit too dark. As you said it couldn't be post process that is why I chose the better exposure. I really wouldn't know what they will pay more attention to. In #3 I like very much the curve that goes along the frame.
Thank you Irma. I am very greatful for your feedback. My preference in the total is 2 and 4. Given that 2 is dark, I would have gone with 4. I like the shooting lines to the right, the highlights and the differences in texture.
I see the strongest images here being #2, 4, and 6. #2 would be my pick except that it looks like it needs a stop or two higher exposure—or a stop less—and if you can't edit it, then you might be stuck. In #4, I like the lighting, but the streaks of water drops are adding different directions to the lines and it breaks up the simplicity of the composition. (Looking at it another way, they can also add interest.) And I really like the colours, rhythm, lighting, and shapes of #6.

It might be helpful to look at what sort of preferences the judges have shown in the past, if you have access to a gallery of previous winners. I'm not suggesting that you try to fit a formula, but if it will help you choose between several strong candidates that you like equally well, it can't really hurt to know what's been done before. Who knows? It might even help to see what's been popular before and then give them something new and striking.
Excellent comments as always, Matthew. Pavel