DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Can you guide me which digital camera best for my profession?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, this is my fist time in this forum, and I am really exited. I'm a beginner photographer and I'm thinking in buying my first canon camera. Most of what I do is portrait, Wedding and fashion photography and I'm still confused which canon camera should i buy. My options are EOS 40D, EOS 450D. Please let me know which one do you think is the best camera for me? My friend refer me one site provides for digital camera reviews. Also, what kind of lenses you recommend would be better to get for this camera?
Big Grin

Ok, who's the joker? It wasnt me!
I do not understand marketerson - what IS your profession? P
Mark, in all honesty, I wouldn't recommend either camera for the tasks you're attempting if you want to work as a professional. To do good work in the fields you've chosen is very demanding on the equipment, and being able to work professionally means you need duplicates of your main equipment. It's a much larger expense and more complex decision than simply choosing between a Rebel and a 40D.

If I was to hire a wedding photographer, the minimum equipment I would look for would be at least a pair of 40D's, although I'd be happier with at least one 5D in the mix for the important photos. (I'd accept the 40D because I wouldn't be having a white-dress/black-tux event.) I'd need to see a couple of the 2.8L zooms, bright primes, and at least two powerful strobes per camera. Call it about $10,000 to $15,000 invested - and then I'd still need to see the portfolios that prove that they know what they're doing.
More to the point - somebody who wishes to get in this as a business should be an expert photographer with years of experience. At that point, such a person would have a good idea what equipment they need on the basis of their training and experience in photography. Equipment in my view is a distant second in importance relative to to skills, knowledge and vision.
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder to be nice to the new people... Big Grin

I do agree that more background info needs to be provided by Mark for a informative answer, and also that experience is needed for wedding photography and the like, but one needs to start somewhere. I have a few friends doing amateur wedding photography (note "amateur") with basic equipment. I did a wedding shoot myself a while ago with a Canon 300D with a 28-105mm lens (hee hee) and a 580 EX speedlight, but then again, they were on a very tight budget (free) and they understood what they were getting into.

Out of the two, the 40D will definitely give you more creative options down the track, but is also dearer. In terms of lenses, start off with a good zoom in the standard range maybe around 18 up to 70 mm (this will be your main walkaround lens) and then add to your kit as the need arises (probably some telephoto zooms or faster L lenses). I would also invest in a good flash gun - these are indispensable indoors.
Minimum 40D, ideally twin 5d's. Welcome to Shuttertalk.
I would like to recommend my first baby, my Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital camera - SLR - 10.1 Megapixel - 3 x optical zoom - Black. It has some powerful features and with simple easy-to-use controls. Ideal for fast shooting too! I won't trade it for anything else so far Smile
Hi Mark, I'd recommend getting a used 5D with a used 28 to 70 2.8L series lens and a 430 ex speedlight. Hire on with an established photographer as a second shooter and do it for a while until you feel 150% positive you can do as good a job as your boss.

If you want to be professional you really should have pro gear. There's a reason why pros use certain bodies and lenses, do your research and take the plunge...
Originally posted 2008. Should be professional by now. Big Grin