DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: What lens for wedding shots?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Canon XTi (400) and will be shooting a friend's wedding. I'm thinking of a 17-40L, 24-105L, or 17-50 Tamron. I have a 17-85 and an old 75-300 USM IS that is not very sharp.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The answer could change depending on where the wedding is going to be: a church can be very dark, but a wedding on the beach in the Dominican Republic won't have the same technical challenges. (But you might be less willing to change lenses if there's blowing sand.)

My first suggestion would be to check out the Tamron as it's the brightest lens in the group. But it's also the only one that's restricted to small-format sensors, and some people consider that a negative. I've heard good things about the two Canon lenses, so if the f/4L is a price tier is what you're looking for, then it comes down to what focal length range you need. While the wedding will certainly be important, you'll be using the lens for years, so I'd say you should pick the one that you want for your general use as well.
I have the 24-105mmL and I am very happy with it. I have taking pictures of a wedding and the result was good. I also like very much this lens as a walk about? lens (I think that is the expression)

Here is my post of the wedding pictures, we also talked then about some other tools that might come handy like flash and diffusers.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewto...9101#59101

Hope this helps... Smile
Thank you both. I've been wanting the 24-105L and this might just be the excuse I need to get it.
Apologies if the wedding is already over, but the 24-105 will be your best all around lens for the day. Keep the 17-85 in case you need to go a bit wider than the other lens will allow.