DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: My latest camera - when 35mm full-frame just isn't enough..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been wanting a large format camera, specifically a Graflex Speed Graphic for years now but never bought one because I know it'll be a camera that only gets use occassionally.

I wanted a large format camera to really slow me down, make me think, help me learn more, engage me more in the process of photographing, and give me an appreciation of all those things I take for granted with modern DSLRs.
Also the romance, history and aesthetics of the cameras themselves are all really appealing to me, and the iconic status of the Speed Graphic in particular has stuck in my mind since childhood as being the epitome of a press camera. Thankfully because there were so many of these cameras made, they are still relatively inexpensive given what they are.

So I started following them on eBay for a while before finally caving in and buying this 4x5 Pacemaker Speed Graphic yesterday.
(photos courtesy of the eBay seller - these are just links to his photos of the camera).

[Image: Image002.jpg]

[Image: Image004.jpg]

[Image: Image012.jpg]

[Image: Image015.jpg]

[Image: Image027.jpg]

While not absolutely perfect, it looks great for its age (over 50 years old). It's obviously been well looked after and still has plenty of life left in it.
The Pacemaker Speed Graphics were manufactured between 1947 and 1970 (the entire Speed Graphic range spanned from 1912 to 1973), and based on the serial numbers I've worked out that my camera was made in 1950, while the lens was manufactured in 1949.
The lens (a Kodak Ektar 127mm f/4.7) is well regarded and is the equivalent of about a 35mm lens on a full-frame 35mm SLR. It is supposedly clean and clear with no scratches.
The lens shutter is a Compur Rapid, and the Speed Graphic also has a focal plane shutter as well to allow the use of barrel lenses. Both shutters have electronic flash syncs which I should be able to adapt to suit modern strobes.
But best of all is that this particular camera comes with the optional Graflok back which makes it compatible with heaps of 4x5 large-format stuff, right up to current model accessories. In addition to taking 4x5 sheet film it can be adapted to suit all sorts of things; from 120 roll film, polaroid pack and sheet film, even medium format digital backs using a hassleblad adaptor!

I can't wait to be able to run some film through it.....

I also pre-ordered a 5D Mk2 which should be arriving soon (I'm #2 on the pre-order list with Team Digital) but I'm not holding my breath over a date. I can't wait to start getting my hands dirty with the video features and I'm planning on really putting some effort into improving my video production skills next year. Apparently it doesn't just do video though - it can take pretty good still photos too! Tongue
What grade Gas does that thing take? Big Grin Always wanted me one of them early microwaves too.

Nice purchase Smile
Looks great Adrian - can't wait to see some images from it.

Cheers.

Chris
Wow... looks awesome, I hope you find the time and patience, and the place (!) to work this thing.

Uli
Congratulations. This is a fascinating post.
Yay! The camera arrived today! Big Grin
It's condition is every bit as good as I'd hoped. There are a couple of minor paint flakes and small cosmetic blemishes on the outside, but it has clearly been well looked after and all the workings operate and look great! I suspect it hasn't been used for years and a few things might need a bit of a clean and lubrication.

I have a heap of polaroid 4x5 film ready to practice with, but I'm still waiting on the polaroid film holder I got from eBay to arrive.... So I can't take any photos with it yet. Sad
Still, it's lovely to look at and play with, even without film. I can still shoot TTV shots (through-the-viewfinder) with it.

[Image: 430197823_XPV3F-L.jpg]
1. The lens looks clean and clear and I can't see any light leaks in the bellows.

[Image: 430198020_BirZJ-L.jpg]
2. When it comes to viewfinders, you're spoilt for choice! There's the ground glass for accurate (upside-down) focussing, two rangefinders on the top and the side, and a "sports" viewfinder (the peep hole and wire rectangle).

[Image: 430197902_xXtN3-L.jpg]
3. Setting up to "shoot" a bowl of fruit...

[Image: 430197719_QGyBT-L.jpg]
4. This is the image on the ground glass from the setup above.
Looks great Adrian.
That is the little /big baby I used in 1956/7. The negatives were enlarged on to a wall, and prints were taken from small areas.That is if we wanted crops. I was amazed at the clarity then .
The rack that the lens housing sits on, had a small gap (as I remember) and you move the lens housing to the front bit for macro.
Have fun. Smile
I don't get it... where do you put your memory card? Big Grin

Have fun with your toy, Adrian! Big Grin