DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: Using JPEGs and gettng the most dynamic range
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is a surprising degree of dynamic range in JPEGS which can be exploited using a kind of HDR technique.

I made this photo by combining a (1) low contrast high brightness version with a (2) high contrast low brightness version using layering.

[Image: hollywoodnorthSM.jpg]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1)
[Image: DSC_72412SM.jpg]

(2)
[Image: DSC_72411SM.jpg]
Yep, JPEGs have a bit more flexibility than many people think, as long as you don't completely blow out the highlights. The look you achieved in the top pic is very natural and doesn't appear manipulated.

RAW has even more flexibility for extending dynamic range, but can require more work depending on your workflow and software. Fortunately some RAW converters now have built-in tools to optimize the shadows and highlights.

But, I'd still much prefer to have extended dynamic range in-camera! And not the current "fake" d.r. (in some new cameras) that involves bumping up ISOs for shadows ... I want a real improvement in sensor technology. Cool
Great work Don! Agreed - the result looks very natural...
Thanks guys. I found this technique is only useful for ceetain kinds of pictures. The difference is negligable for some kinds.

[Image: partlycloudyskySM.jpg]
I added some texture to this one.

[Image: pushingwheelchSM.jpg]
The effect wasnt too strong on this one. The face might be a little better lit.
Frankly I do not get this Don. Why would anybody want to use JPEG for this if you can do it way better in RAW with no more effort and same cost? You have D40 which does RAW. Why rediscover America (for the Nth time?)? I honestly do not understand. Pavel