DSLR Photography Forum

Full Version: One Day Until Flash Bracket Madness
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My DIY flash bracket will be doing the job for which it was built on Saturday--at a friend's wedding reception and if flash is allowed, the ceremony itself.
Not worried about results--all tests have been great and after all, this is a proven concept.
Mine is just homemade and limited to horizontal compositions.

Shooting the engagement photos last week and the bridal portrait today was more difficult, mainly from a lack of time and posing experience/communication skills, and the inexperience of my VCL.
(That's a Voice Controlled Lightstand--my girlfriend holding a wireless flash and not paying close enough attention to where it's pointed).

It was interesting that after the bride asked for more direction, my VCL (her Maid of Honor) stepped up and helped, while I managed to drag up foggy memories of model instruction from behind-the-scenes videos of various pro shooters seen on the internet, as well as Sports Illustrated Swimsuit videos and episodes of America's Next Top Model.
Without sounding unprofessional or pervy!
I didn't notice much difference in the results compared to my quieter approach that depends more on being quick on the shutter when I see something that might be special, but making the subject feel like you're in control gives them confidence and her improved mood WAS helpful.

We were shooting in places that either require a permit (that I was avoiding) or have pedestrian traffic that mustn't be impeded, so umbrellas and multiple flashes wasn't in the plan.
Learned a lot--from the engagement shoot I offered 4 choices.
Today's bridal portrait shoot had 30.

To be honest, it helped that I was only shooting one person today.
I think it's logarithmically harder to make 2 people look good compared to 1.
(1 subject=1 keeper in 4, 2 subjects=1 keeper in 16, 3 subjects=1 keeper in 64 etc. Good thing only the bride really matters!)
The groom probably didn't even have a sitting for his last two weddings, so he managed to ruin many of the engagement pics where his bride looked her best.
It felt strange to demand that a man who's older than me hand over his sunglasses and chewing gum, then see him pout about it even after I explained everything...

I'm still nervous about the ceremony since I don't have a fast lens and won't know about flash permission in that church until I start popping and someone tells me No. Big Grin
It doesn't help that I'm also handling the setup and operation of the reception's sound system and music, so I have more on my plate than many photographers.
Thankfully, no mention was made of video!

I have zero ambition to take work away from my local photographers in the wedding business.
Some of them are friends from my club, and some of them are total jerks I have worked with in the past while running sound for bands at receptions.
This is a special case, where it's practically family and the budget is low, so my wedding gift is keeping the costs down while trying to keep quality as high as I possibly can.
I would have preferred to be just a DJ, but it's been fun to learn some new skills and rise to the challenge.
The experience will also help me when a few important future projects happen.

But I can't wait for Sunday!
Spare time to watch TV, read the paper, maybe eat something...