DSLR Photography Forum
Lens! - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Lens! (/thread-117.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lens! - adam - Jun 30, 2004

While I was playing on these forums there was a knock on the door.
My 50mm f/1.8 II lens came Smile

What lenses do you own?
Not trying to show off, just interested Smile

I'm having a tough time trying to take this bubble wrap off

Lens! - shuttertalk - Jun 30, 2004

Hey I had the 50mm f/1.8 II as well, but that was for my 35mm film camera. Pretty good lens, for the price - very sharp and good colour reproduction.

I also had a 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM EF II, which was an absolute gem! Awesome optics, internal focusing. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Have fun with your new toy!

Wow! sounds like a great lens you've got there! My friend got one of those from Ebay Smile Such a large zoom range!
I like 50mm f/1.8, it's very good for it's price Smile *plays with new toy*

Lens! - shuttertalk - Jul 11, 2004

So how are you finding your 50mm adam? How often do you use it compared to your other lenses?

Lens! - peter - Jul 16, 2004

i got quite a few actually ..
urmm F1.4/50mm old FD type and F4-8/100-200mm FD ...those r for my old AV-1 dont use it much ne more

got a EF 18-55mm kit ...
got EF 90 - 300mm USM zoom
got 20mm Wide Conversion lens ...

i want a 100mm macro tho .thatd be nice ^^

Lens! - adam - Jul 16, 2004

My 50mm, it's nice to use! I really like the DoF, giving lots of blurry background.
I use it whenever I don't want to use flash, or outdoors, or when I don't need a wide-angled lens.

When I use it, I miss zoom though. At least it's teaching me not to be lazy, makes me walk, and move around more. Wink haha.

Lens! - shuttertalk - Jul 16, 2004

Yes, that's the tradeoff with prime lenses. For some people, that's the only way to go though, because they say that lens selection should be deliberate... zooming changes more than the magnification - it changes perspective as well...

Lens! - peter - Jul 16, 2004

yeah ... i guess for professionals ...
photos are alredy thought out before they take them ...
so having a zoom wouldnt be nessasary in alot of proffessional photography ..

Lens! - adam - Jul 20, 2004

I'm sure some professionals will still love their zoom Smile
With the advances in technology (don't know how true this is though), soon you won't see much noticable differences between zoom lenses and primes (except that the largest aperture you can get on a zoom lens (from Canon) seems to be f/2.8)

I still love zoom Smile As shuttertalk said - changes perspective Smile
Allows me to do a lot Smile

Lens! - peter - Jul 20, 2004

adam ... loves my zoom lens .. but he cant have it ..

Lens! - dewy - Jul 21, 2004

Ok, easy now, we don't want to start any fights now do we? Wink

Lens! - Lak - Jul 21, 2004

I was on the same lines as Adam, and i probably still am, as in how i'd prefer a zoom lens over prime lenses. But after shooting it with adam and peter at Fremantle using just the 50mm and then using it mainly at Araluen Botanic Gardens, I have new love for it now Rolleyes

Lens! - dewy - Jul 21, 2004

What is the difference between a Zoom and Prime Lense?
Lak just so you know I am only a beginner

Lens! - peter - Jul 21, 2004

urmm ...a zoom lens can zoom .. a prime lens is fixed focal length ...
this means that since the prime lens has less lens elements (peices of glass) because it doesnt need to adjust itself .. there is less loss of light and quality .. hence you get a clearer sharper image ...

usually quite nice when u want to get a strong depth of field...

Yea i'm only beginning too. I only just got into the DSLR 'scene' just the beginning of this year.

hmmm the differences that i can think of atm is generally... and this is a big generalization, that prime lenses usually produce a sharper image. But today's technology, zoom lenses compete very well, if not better than some primes.

Primes tend to have larger apertures than zooms, so u can shoot low light or get a tight depth of field.

And from my opinion i think primes focus faster. Smile

as for Zoom... i guess convenience, saves you time from swapping lenses

Thats all i can think of at the moment.

I also read somewhere that prime lenses are less suceptable to lens flare more than zooms. So depending on what effect you want, that might also decide which lens to use

yeah im also a n00b ...
just picking up the skillz and stuff as i go along ^^
dw ... your already 5 years ahead of us ... in terms of age / camera knowledge ...

im suprised at how young children pick up technology these days ...
i guess its more readily availible now ..

Lens! - adam - Jul 21, 2004

repeating what may have been said already
Prime lenses have no zoom, and as Peter said, fixed focal length: forces the photographer to move around a bit more Smile

Prime lenses -> less elements -> less 'stuff' for light to pass through -> less interference -> higher quality
Please feel free to add to that flow Smile

You also can get larger apertures, like f/1.0 (very very expensive and super shallow DoF), the largest you can get on canon zoom lenses is f/2.8; which, I think it big enough for me Wink

yeah ,.. i got a FD F/1.4 ....
cant fit on my 300D Sad

Lens! - dewy - Jul 22, 2004

peter Wrote:yeah im also a n00b ...
just picking up the skillz and stuff as i go along ^^
dw ... your already 5 years ahead of us ... in terms of age / camera knowledge ...

im suprised at how young children pick up technology these days ...
i guess its more readily availible now ..

We can pick it up, but we still struggle, and still have financial strain, especially when coming form a disadvantaged family and not poket money etc.

Lens! - peter - Jul 22, 2004

yeah .. ive never had pocket money ..some how i get by wid my 9bucks an hour ...

Lens! - adam - Jul 22, 2004

I've also had no pocket money. Centrelink won't give me any either.
but if I need anything, that's something else Wink

You've probably heard this one so many times "it's the photographer, not the camera", so you can develop your skills no matter what you use. After all, we're taking pictures aren't we?

Lens! - peter - Jul 22, 2004

yes thats right .. but cameras help ...
athletes can run faster with better shoes ... ^_-

Lens! - shuttertalk - Jul 22, 2004

adam Wrote:Prime lenses -> less elements -> less 'stuff' for light to pass through -> less interference -> higher quality
Please feel free to add to that flow Smile

-> beautiful pictures -> entered into nationwide competition -> wins competition -> noticed by bigshots -> bigshots hire you -> you spend a lifetime shooting celebrities and sports stars -> you meet liv tyler -> you get married -> buy in a mansion in beverley hills -> live happily ever after...

oops imagination ran away with that one... Big Grin