DSLR Photography Forum
Jocko's Photo Diary. - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Jocko's Photo Diary. (/thread-16759.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 15, 2016

On Saturday I was going over to the Lothians, and as it was an overcast day I thought it would be a good chance for my other half to get some pictures of the new roads for the Queensferry Crossing project. On a sunny day you are driving straight into the sun and on the return journey there is not a lot to see.
With her suitably armed, with my Konica Minolta DiMage Z3, we set off. Unfortunately it was just after that the rain started. Just odd spots, really, but enough to mess up the windscreen. She took tons of pictures, and I managed to get what I wanted, so I was quite happy with the outcome.
The north tower is the first of the towers to have its cap removed. These have enclosed the tops of the towers as the concrete is being poured and the work progressing. Here is one of her images.

Dimage Z3, 1/640 sec, f4, ISO 50, 35mm lens equivalent.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Phil J - Mar 15, 2016

(Mar 10, 2016, 13:25)Jocko Wrote:  Bought another amplifier last night (Marshall Class 5), and I was asked for photos from the guitar forum I frequent. Well, as soon as I got the amp out, camera shy Lucy decided it was for her.

Nikon D80, 1/60 sec, f4, ISO 200, 37mm lens equivalent.

50 watt Blues-breaker reissue by any chance?

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 15, 2016

(Mar 15, 2016, 06:30)Phil J Wrote:  50 watt Blues-breaker reissue by any chance?

Here is the blurb from Marshall's own site.

Class 5® was a tonally rich 5 Watt all-valve amp that featured true class A circuitry. The C5-01 combo produced pure Marshall® tone with great feel and response. Conceived in the wake of numerous requests from both professional stadium fillers and bedroom widdlers alike, this compact combo was the answer to many low wattage, big tone prayers.
Created in the legendary ‘Bluesbreaker’® style, the C5-01 took things back to basics with a top-loaded, ‘Plexi-esque’ control panel comprising of volume, bass, middle and treble. Responding naturally to playing dynamics, and producing rich, second order harmonic distortion. This purist pleasing combo went from brilliant clean to full-bodied crunch and on to glorious lead tones.
All this great tone was delivered through a specially designed Celestion G10F-15 speaker which had impressive lower-end while retaining clarity and definition.
Class 5 was manufactured at the Marshall production facility in Bletchley, England between 2010 and 2012.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EdMak - Mar 16, 2016

Still have a Leak class A Amp. Gave away an A/B class Armstrong about 4/5 years ago. Frankly, and I could hear then!, never heard and difference between classes. Ed.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 16, 2016

I have a mate who has a Naim Hi Fi. He has multiple unit, fancy power supplies and a set of speakers (non Naim) like nothing on earth. Total new cost of the system was £47K. It sounds great, but not 20 times better than a £2K system. He pays £40 for a mains lead and more for speaker and interconnect cables. The sound benefits can be measured (as between A and A/B amps), but I doubt they can be heard.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EdMak - Mar 16, 2016

That's the key John, measured.
Went to a B&O Dealers meeting, many years ago, demo a new receiver, distortion figures were poor, compared with so called Norm. Vol well up, then told if anybody could honestly say they could hear distortion, they could have the receiver, no takers. Then they showed the distortion via a 'scope. It was visible.
My leak is a Point 1, so called for it's distortion figure. Happy memories. Ed.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 23, 2016

Haven't done anything photographic for a while. We had intended going for a run along the Fife coast (a great photo opportunity), Monday past. I had also intended getting out for some early morning shots, this week (after dropping my wife for work at 7 am), before the clocks go forward on Sunday and the dark mornings return. However, my good lady has injured her back, is unable to get out, and all that has been knocked on the head. Only consolation is that in a couple of more weeks it will once again be light in the morning, accompanied by the start of the long evenings.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EdMak - Mar 23, 2016

Sympathies for a sore back John, from a sufferer, hopefully she will recover. Regards. Ed.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 27, 2016

Today I have been playing with Paintshop Pro X8 with a view to being as proficient with it as I am with Photoshop. I am beginning to get a handle on the interface, and even managed to install the Nik plugins, so I can use them from within X8. I am still only taking baby steps, but I have been using Photoshop since Photoshop 5.0.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EdMak - Mar 27, 2016

Brave man John, to me the Nik lot look a bit daunting, will they do more than P/S CS4 I use, doubtful. How's Mrs. T. Ed.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Mar 27, 2016

She is much better. She hopes to return to work on Tuesday.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Apr 6, 2016

Have not had a camera in my hand for a spell, mainly due to the inclement weather we have been experiencing here.
Today I had a go at manufacturing a flash diffuser, á la Graham. I have a spare lens hood for my current macro lens so my intention was to make one permanently attached to that, so I can just clip it on and off as required. The manufacturing part went well, but the 2 Litre container I had did not have a large enough area free of manufacturing seam areas and curves, and this caused an uneven light. I will buy a 4 Litre container next time and have another try.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Apr 14, 2016

Dug my camera out today and had a wander through the Links Market. Kirkcaldy host Europe's longest street fair, which has been going since 1304 (almost 200 years before Columbus reached America). Now it is all rides and food stalls. It is held this time of the year, every year, and the saying in Kirkcaldy is that you won't get good weather until the Links Market has gone. This year is no exception, with strong winds from the North East, blowing straight in from the sea. Tomorrow the forecast is for possible snow. It will take me a while to work my way through the images I captured (though at first glance none of them hold much promise), but here is a wee taster.

Nikon D80, 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO 250, 69 mm lens equivalent.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EnglishBob - Apr 14, 2016

Doesn't look very warm for enjoying a fair, nicely captured.

Googling "Oldest Fair Europe" brings up so many results, at least a dozen fairs all claiming the title. Made me curious because my home town always claims to be the oldest "Charter Fair" in Europe. It dates back to a charter granted by King Henry in 1252.

Code:
Ilkeston Market Place is the site of a Charter fair.  The fair celebrated its 760th anniversary in 2012, the Charter being granted by King Henry III in 1252. This makes the fair older than Nottingham's famous Goose Fair and it is one of the largest street fairs in the Country, indeed in Europe."

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - delb0y - Apr 14, 2016

Looks like a cracking place for some street photography, Jocko. I look forward to seeing some more. This bit intrigued me:

I reckon you could've got some cracking photos with the right angle and timing just there! Maybe you did Smile

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EdMak - Apr 14, 2016

Hopeful .Ed.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Apr 14, 2016

(Apr 14, 2016, 09:57)EnglishBob Wrote:  Googling "Oldest Fair Europe" brings up so many results, at least a dozen fairs all claiming the title. Made me curious because my home town always claims to be the oldest "Charter Fair" in Europe. It dates back to a charter granted by King Henry in 1252.

Kirkcaldy Links Market is the LONGEST street fair. Not the oldest.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EnglishBob - Apr 14, 2016

Ah, physical length over chronological.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Apr 20, 2016

It was a nice cold sunny morning, so I took the opportunity, just after sunrise, to go out with my camera. I only took the one with the long lens on it, as I wanted the constraints of having to shoot from a distance. I didn't end up with anything special, but, as I still have my Links Market images to process, it will probably be a while before I get round to these anyway.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - EnglishBob - Apr 20, 2016

I have a few thousand unprocessed images...... I'll get to them eventually LOL.

With me, a lot depends on the subject matter. If it is something I am enthused about, I get them done quickly. Others, I have to be pushed into finishing.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - delb0y - Apr 20, 2016

I'm the opposite. I tend to download the photos from camera immediately, and then right away import into Lightroom. I then whip through them and delete as many as I can. Whip through them again and delete some more. Then the few that make the cut tend to get a quick PP right away. I don't keep many :-)

Now that I shoot in raw I keep everything I produce. I load them into Lightroom as soon as I get home, then start processing the ones I want to keep. I keep the rubbish ones just in case I need to steal something from one, sometime in the future. Once I run out of space I will delete what I don't want to keep. I don't take a huge number of photographs so it is not really an issue.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - Jocko - Apr 21, 2016

Just been looking at the Queen's official birthday photographs, and they are amazing. I cannot get a family photograph without someone either with their eys closed or grimacing, yet Annie Leibovitz can capture a great photograph with Her Majesty and four posing dogs. I am not a Royalist but I do appreciate a skilled artist and craftswoman.

RE: Jocko's Photo Diary. - delb0y - Apr 21, 2016

I like the light and subdued colours in those photographs. Especially the one with the kids - that has such a nice quality and tone to it.