DSLR Photography Forum
monthly competition - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: monthly competition (/thread-17543.html)

monthly competition - snaphappy - Jun 21, 2017

Does anyone know why the monthly contests have stopped. I thought these were a good idea, as it gave you a theme to work on if you were going through a mental block. Please can we have them back Barbara.

RE: monthly competition - MrB - Jun 21, 2017

Presumably due to lack of entries. How often did you enter? I have posted little since the Admins messed up the web site, reportedly for the benefit of those using phones. Previous to their meddling, images would display properly, with scroll bars if they were too big to fit the web page; also when clicked on, they would open in a new window to fill the screen.

Philip

RE: monthly competition - EdMak - Jun 21, 2017

Sure that's called Progress. Ed.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Jun 21, 2017

(Jun 21, 2017, 05:10)snaphappy Wrote:  Does anyone know why the monthly contests have stopped. I thought these were a good idea, as it gave you a theme to work on if you were going through a mental block. Please can we have them back Barbara.

Hello,

Yes, they are temporarily on hold due to lack of participation. 

Would others like to see them again? Please comment and let us know!

Thanks  Shy

RE: monthly competition - Browser Mike - Jun 21, 2017

Lack of participation is a valid argument. Also the site appears to have lost many contributors who would have been looked on as 'regulars' in the forums. Since the site now seems to be Mobile/Smartphone orientated would it increase participation if there were a Mobile forum. I know some would object but all said and done the site is for ' digital photography enthusiasts '.
As for the monthly comps, bring them back. Any prospect of an increase in monthly income is most welcome.
Good to hear from you Barbara,
Regards to all,
Mike.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Jun 24, 2017

I am sure the changes have had some impact on things here. Also, with warmer months more people may also be enjoying the great outdoors.

At least it is a thought anyway Cool I help with several other forums and this time of year things do seem to slow down some.

Thanks for letting me know Jane, Mike, Philip, and Ed. Big Grin

RE: monthly competition - EnglishBob - Jun 24, 2017

It's always been that way in my experience, summertime slows down online activity, even though people may be out shooting more. In times past these forums didn't suffer the summer slowdown, as around half the users were Australia or Hong Kong Based, so the seasons were flipped for them.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Jun 26, 2017

Thank you - I have sent a message to the admin about starting the monthly competitions again at the beginning of July. As soon as I get a go ahead - we will give it a go.

Thanks for your patience! Smile

RE: monthly competition - Suze11b - Jun 28, 2017

I miss the monthly competition... kept me motivated and challenged.   Would love to see them back.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Jun 28, 2017

Hello all,

I have the go ahead to start the contests again, so be on the watch for them! Big Grin

RE: monthly competition - HaroldZ - Jul 3, 2017

(Jun 21, 2017, 16:38)Barbara G. Wrote:  
(Jun 21, 2017, 05:10)snaphappy Wrote:  Does anyone know why the monthly contests have stopped. I thought these were a good idea, as it gave you a theme to work on if you were going through a mental block. Please can we have them back Barbara.

Hello,

Thanks  Shy

I too miss the competition.  Maybe this will give more of us an incentive to participate more often.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Jul 3, 2017

Here is the July 2017 monthly competition thread.

https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread-ShutterTalk-Digital-Photography-Contest-July-2017-Best-Photo?pid=110400#pid110400

RE: monthly competition - greenster93 - Aug 16, 2017

(Jul 3, 2017, 09:08)HaroldZ Wrote:  
(Jun 21, 2017, 16:38)Barbara G. Wrote:  

Hello,

Thanks  Shy

I too miss the competition.  Maybe this will give more of us an incentive to participate more often.

RE: monthly competition - greenster93 - Aug 16, 2017

I would like to see the monthly competition back but maybe without the set subject as it makes it harder to enter

RE: monthly competition - MrB - Aug 16, 2017

(Aug 16, 2017, 05:10)greenster93 Wrote:  I would like to see the monthly competition back but maybe without the set subject as it makes it harder to enter
It is back - see here:-

https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/Thread-ShutterTalk-Digital-Photography-Open-Competition-Contest-August-2017-Black-White

No set subject but photo in black & white.

RE: monthly competition - greenster93 - Aug 21, 2017

Whats images size resolution for the competitions.

RE: monthly competition - Barbara G. - Aug 22, 2017

There are no set requirements for the forum competitions.