DSLR Photography Forum
Cheers - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Talk (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-15.html)
+--- Thread: Cheers (/thread-17844.html)

Cheers - GrahamS - Oct 19, 2018

Sorry friends - I can no longer see the forum content for the ads. I have to scroll down two screens just to get to the forum headers. Too frustrating and badly presented. It has been fun, but I'm done here.

RE: Cheers - EdMak - Oct 19, 2018

Hang in Graham, what browser are to using, it may well have an Ad Blocker.

This is the page I see, when I open ST, using Chrome, and Ad Blocker.    Don't go.   Cheers.  Ed.

RE: Cheers - GrahamS - Oct 19, 2018

Ed, this is what I see with Chrome and with no ad blocker -only pop-ups are blocked.

RE: Cheers - MrB - Oct 19, 2018

Graham, I have used the free Opera web browser for many years, and setting its built-in ad-blocker to 'On' removes all of that rubbish from the Shuttertalk pages.  At the top of this screen in which I'm typing this reply, I can see only the titles and then your post #1.

Cheers.
Philip

RE: Cheers - EdMak - Oct 19, 2018

Try his

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pop-up-blocker-for-chrome/bkkbcggnhapdmkeljlodobbkopceiche?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog

or, go incognito.

Opera has a free VPN setting, which I use when running KODI . Ed.

RE: Cheers - GrahamS - Oct 20, 2018

Guys, I have tried the "poperblocker" to no effect - it tells me "no overlay found" or "no popup active". I won't change my browser just for the sake of one website forum. I don't have any issues with other forums.

RE: Cheers - EdMak - Oct 20, 2018

Make certain your chrome version is up to date. Ed.

RE: Cheers - MrB - Oct 20, 2018

(Oct 20, 2018, 03:43)GrahamS Wrote:  Guys, I have tried the "poperblocker" to no effect - it tells me "no overlay found" or "no popup active".  I won't change my browser just for the sake of one website forum.  I don't have any issues with other forums.
Opera is free and definitely worth trying, not to use just for one site but for all:

"Ad blocker
If you block ads, web pages will load faster and look cleaner. By blocking ads with Opera’s built-in ad blocker, you also block the source of many tracking cookies. The ad blocker also stops cryptocurrency mining scripts."

Philip

Guys, I am not going to change my browser. I am not going to experiment with other ad-blockers. Now, this site is showing posts quoting me as the author, when they are not written by me.

RE: Cheers - EdMak - Oct 20, 2018

Graham, if it happened fairly recently, try a System Restore. Ed.

(Oct 20, 2018, 12:39)EdMak Wrote:  Graham, if it happened fairly recently, try a System Restore. Ed.
Ed, there's nowt wrong with my iMac. It's only this site that gives trouble. I am using V10.13.6 of High Sierra.

RE: Cheers - Barbara G. - Oct 20, 2018

(Oct 20, 2018, 13:30)GrahamS Wrote:  
(Oct 20, 2018, 12:39)EdMak Wrote:  Graham, if it happened fairly recently, try a System Restore.   Ed.
Ed, there's nowt wrong with my iMac.  It's only this site that gives trouble.  I am using V10.13.6 of High Sierra.
Hello guys,

I am alerting the admin to the challenge to have him check into it.

Please be patient.

Thanks,
Barbara

RE: Cheers - admin - Oct 20, 2018

This is happening because you have our old theme set in your preferences and it isn’t supported in newer browsers. I have switched it to the new theme. Let me know if that fixes your issue.

Thanks

RE: Cheers - GrahamS - Oct 21, 2018

I now seem to have less open spaces between ads and between the various elements of the thread. Better. I'll give it a try and see how I get on with it. Thanks.

RE: Cheers - MrB - Oct 21, 2018

(Oct 20, 2018, 07:38)GrahamS Wrote:  Guys, I am not going to change my browser.  I am not going to experiment with other ad-blockers.  
No need to change, but surely a well-intentioned suggestion might be worth a try.
At least perhaps take a look over your wall: https://www.opera.com/computer/mac

Philip

(Oct 21, 2018, 04:42)MrB Wrote:  
(Oct 20, 2018, 07:38)GrahamS Wrote:  Guys, I am not going to change my browser.  I am not going to experiment with other ad-blockers.  
No need to change, but surely a well-intentioned suggestion might be worth a try.
At least perhaps take a look over your wall: https://www.opera.com/computer/mac

Philip
O.K., You have twisted my arm!  I'm now typing this in Opera.  I have made it my default browser and I will access it's performance over the next couple of days.  So far, so good.  One question - in the settings I have enabled "Block Ads" . Will this also block pop-ups?

RE: Cheers - MrB - Oct 21, 2018

(Oct 21, 2018, 07:32)GrahamS Wrote:  O.K., You have twisted my arm!  I'm now typing this in Opera.  I have made it my default browser and I will access it's performance over the next couple of days.  So far, so good.  One question - in the settings I have enabled "Block Ads" . Will this also block pop-ups?
I'm not sure, Graham, but I suspect that pop-ups are blocked by the default settings, as I never seem to get any.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip.

RE: Cheers - EdMak - Oct 23, 2018

Pop-up Blocker is on by default, it is well hidden!! here's how to find.

To disable the pop-up blocker in Opera:
Alt + P to open 'Browser settings'
Select 'Advanced' in the menu on the left.
Select 'Privacy & Security'
Select 'Content Settings'
Select 'Pop-ups and redirects'

Ed.

RE: Cheers - GrahamS - Oct 23, 2018

(Oct 23, 2018, 12:25)EdMak Wrote:  Pop-up Blocker is on by default, it is well hidden!! here's how to find.  

To disable the pop-up blocker in Opera:
Alt + P to open 'Browser settings'
Select 'Advanced' in the menu on the left.
Select 'Privacy & Security'
Select 'Content Settings'
Select 'Pop-ups and redirects'

Ed.
Thanks Ed